amazon twitch streaming

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:25 PM

Ignore the first two pages of this topic, it wasn't Google that bought Twitch.

http://iyouboushi.co...__20#entry14867

Will quote the post onto here as well:

It seems it wasn't Google at all that bought Twitch. It was Amazon.

Amazon, not Google, buying Twitch for 1 billion

Amazon has officially purchased Twitch.tv for $970 million. In Twitch's announcement of the deal, CEO Emmett Shear repeatedly thanked the Twitch community for helping build the company, and that "with Amazon’s support we’ll have the resources to bring you an even better Twitch." The letter states that Twitch will be "keeping most everything the same," and that Twitch will remain independent from Amazon. Any big deal like this takes time, and according to Amazon's press release, the acquisition is expected to close in the second half of this year.

Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon gave a quote about the deal, saying “Like Twitch, we obsess over customers and like to think differently, and we look forward to learning from them and helping them move even faster to build new services for the gaming community.”

So what happened to the Google deal? A report from Forbes, Google was concerned about possible anti-trust problems that would arise from the deal, and Google and Twitch couldn't come to an agreement on the size of a breakup fee if the deal was killed.

Amazon to aquire Twitch

So I guess that's why they did the music thing after all. lol Will update the topic title too.

Edited by Smz, 25 August 2014 - 02:45 PM.
Not Google, Amazon. Updating the topic title.

#2 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

Please log into Twitch using your Google+ ID.

*does so*

The stream you're trying to view has been removed due to content-ID matches. Sorry about that. :

But click here to try the new Twitch.tv layout where everything is moved and you can't find anything! It'll be made live in two days even though every user who's tried it says they hate it.

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#3 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

Yeah, pretty much what would happen. Or could see them keep it around for a bit before axing it and forcing people to use Youtube's live stream thing. Which would defeat the point of why most people use Twitch. I can certainly tell you one twitch streamer I watch wouldn't be able to do most of what he does if that was to happen.

#4 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

No longer a rumor, just confirmed that it is happening. Welp, nice knowing you, twitch.

#5 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

:suicide: greaaaaaaaat

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#6 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

Let me guess, will force it to only use Google+ to comment, right? lol

#7 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

I'll just quote myself here..

The stream you're trying to view has been removed due to content-ID matches. Sorry about that. :

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#8 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

To me it makes no sense. Youtube/Google already has its own streaming service, so it seems pointless to buy Twitch which is nothing but streaming. inb4 they axe Twitch just to merge them together. lol

#9 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo................ I guess. Lol I never used twitch.

Posted Image Posted Image

#10 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

I used twitch occasionally to stream games. I mostly used it to watch a few people who streamed.

I wonder how long it'll take before another streaming service shows up.

I feel kinda bad for the people who stream for a living. There's lots of people who just play games on Twitch and get paid via the ad revenue. Now that google has taken over I can pretty much bet they'll switch it to adsense and/or kill it completely (since you usually can't get paid if your content contains copyrighted material). Ugh.

But even if you don't watch/use twitch.. it's bad because monopolies are bad.. competition is good... Google effectively just bought the competition. It's like Comcast merging with all the cable companies (giving us consumers less options and forced to pay their outrageous rates)

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amazon, twitch, streaming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users