6 replies to this topic

#1 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,074 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:37 PM

Ever get interested in a subject and want to learn more about it? Well you could read hours of research about the topic or you could find a documentary where someone else has already done the research and is presenting everything in an easy to understand way.

I realized today that we really don't have a documentary thread here on the board. So I figured we could fix that.

I don't normally watch documentaries that often but I figured maybe I could try to watch one a week or every other week or something. I think it'd be cool to learn more about stuff that I normally wouldn't go reading about.

So I'll start posting some in the next post.. feel free to add your own.
~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,074 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:40 PM

Secrets of the Samurai Sword

The Japanese katana is probably one of the most recognizable weapons in history. But have you ever wondered how a katana was made? Watch this and wonder no more! It's actually quite interesting.

The French Revolution - History Channel Documentary

I know I've always said that I've never been that interested in the French Revolution, but with recent events going on in Ferguson it kind of made me curious about revolutions. I could have chosen the American Revolution, I guess, but we learn about that in school and I thought I'd branch out into a subject I know very little about.

This is a longer documentary, running at 1 1/2 hours, and probably still would be considered a cliff note's version of everything that went down. Still, I'll give it a shot. lol.

~James~

#3 KuroMa

KuroMa

Shinigami Vice Captain

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

Oh hey, cool! I'm gonna watch those two later. For now, just posting these:

The Corporation

Howoritz plays Mozart

#4 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,074 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

Documentary Heaven

This site has hundreds of documentaries broken out by category.  Pretty much anything and everything you'd ever want to know and it's all free!

~James~

#5 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,074 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:56 AM

I was debating which topic to put this in. It isn't a full documentary, per se, but it does cover some history of the real William Adams--the first European Samurai.  There's two videos.  The first is only about 8 1/2 minutes long and covers the basics of who he was, how he ended up in Japan and how he became the first European samurai.  If you're just looking for a quick overview of this strange circumstance, check it out. 

The second video is much more in depth.  It's almost 30 minutes long and goes into detail more about how the Dutch ships trekked across the oceans, the islands they stayed on, the problems they ran into, etc.  It's quite fascinating.  History truly is weirder than fiction sometimes.

I highly recommend watching both and in order.  The second video assumes that you've watched the first one.

Despite the Nioh cover it really doesn't have much to do with the game or that time period of Japan and focuses on Adams and the Dutch crew that tried to make it to Japan.  The guy who made these videos and does the talking in them is extremely well-spoken and does a great job of covering the subject.  It's highly entertaining and, like I said before, fascinating.

And then if you want to do further reading/research on the guy/crew/voyage (or just don't have time for the videos):  https://docs.google...._EqLY0Vv1kA/pub

I kind of wish this guy had made a bunch of other videos talking about historical people/events.  I'd watch them for days.  History is endlessly fascinating. And a lot of it, like the adventures of William Adams and the Dutch crew he was with, are not really taught in history class (or at least I never heard about them lol).  Makes you wonder what other crazy things happened in history that we've never learned about.

~James~

#6 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,074 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:37 AM

The Mysterious Vikings: Who Were They?

A pretty interesting documentary about Vikings.  People in the comments say that there were some factual mistakes in the documentary but I don't know enough about the subject to confirm or deny.  Still, it's worth watching if you're interested in them lol.

~James~

#7 KuroMa

KuroMa

Shinigami Vice Captain

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:06 PM

Hey Iyou, look what I found on Youtube!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: documentaries, videos, youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users