General WWE Discussion

wwe nxt impact wrestling lucha libre sports entertainment independent wrestling kayfabe

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
211 replies to this topic

#1 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:09 PM

About WWE

World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (WWE) is an American publicly traded, privately controlled entertainment company that deals primarily in professional wrestling, with major revenue sources also coming from film, music, product licensing and direct product sales. WWE also refers to the professional wrestling promotion itself, founded by Jess McMahon and Toots Mondt in 1952 as Capitol Wrestling Corporation. As of 2014, it is the largest wrestling promotion in the world, holding approximately 320 televised and non-televised events a year, and broadcasting to about 36 million viewers in more than 150 countries. The company's headquarters are located in Stamford, Connecticut, with offices in New York City, Los Angeles, London, Shanghai, Tokyo, Singapore, Munich, Mumbai, and Mexico City.

As in other professional wrestling promotions, WWE shows are not legitimate sporting contests, but purely entertainment-based, featuring storyline-driven, scripted, and choreographed matches, though they often include moves that can put performers at risk of injury if not performed correctly. WWE first publicly acknowledged this in 1981, breaking the gentlemen's agreement that previously existed among promoters. Since the 1980s, WWE publicly branded their product as sports entertainment, which is considered to acknowledge the product's roots in competitive sport and dramatic theater.

The company's majority owner is Vince McMahon, who serves as chairman and chief executive officer (CEO) of the company. Along with his wife Linda, children Shane and Stephanie, and son-in-law Paul Levesque (known professionally as Triple H), the McMahon family holds approximately 70% of WWE's equity and 96% of the voting power in the company. As of August 2014, due to ongoing problems with the company, Eminence Capital, a New York-based hedge fund, acquired 9.6% stake of WWE while the McMahon family retains 90.4% interest.

The current entity was previously known as Titan Sports, Incorporated on February 21, 1980 which acquired Capitol Wrestling Corporation (the holding company for the World Wrestling Federation) in 1982 and later formed a separate corporation in Delaware that may have initially been called WWF, Inc. before being renamed Titan Sports, Inc. which is then legally merged the Massachusetts corporation. Titan was renamed World Wrestling Federation, Inc. in 1998, then World Wrestling Federation Entertainment, Inc. in 1999 and finally World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. in 2002. Since 2011, the company has officially branded itself solely as "WWE", which is no longer an initialism, though the company's legal name was not changed.

About Impact Wrestling

Impact Wrestling (formerly known as TNA iMPACT!) is a professional wrestling television program produced by Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA). Starting in 2015 the show began to air weekly on Destination America in the United States.

The show debuted in the United States on Fox Sports Net on June 4, 2004, but after TNA's contract was not renegotiated in May 2005, the show was left without a television network to broadcast on. The show began broadcasting episodes via syndication in limited markets on Urban America Television (replacing TNA's syndicated show Xplosion) and on the Internet between June 24 and September 16, 2005, before securing a deal with Spike TV, with the first show airing on October 1, 2005.

The show first began airing episodes on Saturday nights, however in April 2006 the show was moved to Thursday nights. It briefly moved to Monday nights in 2010 and to Wednesday nights in 2014 until its final broadcast on Spike.

Not sure what to start this topic with, or the name, but here we go. lol

While mostly would be about WWE and Impact, any of the others can be here as well. I just don't watch any of the others (I do know of them, but seven hours a week is already enough for me before I really can't stand to watch anymore.) /r/SquaredCircle is the main subreddit. You could check the subreddits as well, though I say take caution on some of them, as they probably aren't nsfw just from looking at the list. lol

I've watched this when I was a kid (and like most other kids, was a fan of Hulk Hogan, Ugh. LOL) Though mostly missed some of it from like 1992 - 2000 (though I saw some in between), didn't see any from summer 04 to early 05, and have been watching WWE since 05. I started watching Impact in... 07? Not quite sure, but I know it's been awhile now.

Honestly, I really don't care for any of the stories/talking and such they usually have. I know it's scripted and for the most part, they don't hit each other legit (Most part as taking a dive from the ropes onto the mat or floor isn't fake.) I mainly watch to see what kind of moves they do. lol

So uh, yeah, here's the topic about the wrasslin fun. lol

And now....

I give you, The Gift of Jericho.

Edited by Smz, 07 July 2016 - 09:09 PM.
Drink it in, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

#2 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:11 PM

There's too many wrestlers to list, but I'm going to at least list the roster from WWE and Impact so that people can know.

Due to the size of the lists, they'll be in spoiler.

WWE

Spoiler

WWE NXT Roster
Spoiler

Impact Wrestling Roster
Spoiler

Edited by Smz, 24 May 2015 - 03:59 PM.

#3 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:46 PM

The main "story" on WWE Monday Night Raw has been going on since the Summerslam pay-per-view from August 2013. Due to how long it's been, and the fact that I'm not good at summarizing, I'll just link to the Wikipedia page. Obviously spoilers. lol

The Authority

Tag Team Titles.. Intercontinental Title.. Diva's Title.. I have no idea as there's really no story for those, sadly. Just due to the way the booking as been for those three for quite some time. The only other title left that does have a story is the United States Championship, which I can copy/paste here.

United States Championship

Spoiler

As for Impact Wrestling, I'm not even sure and I watch that. Hm. They have bit more of a story on the other titles, though the X-Division title more or less hasn't had one in some time (I'd say in the past three years.) The other problem is they tape Impact in advance, so kind of difficult to find the info without spoilers at the same time. ..Like right now, I just found out what they're doing with the X-Division title for the show on May 29th and the one for the first week of June. So I'm not going to for that as I really don't want to risk seeing spoilers. I might not watch it for the story, but it still kills my interest in watching that week regardless.

#4 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:44 AM

Impact Wrestling is moving to Wednesday nights next week on June 3rd. So, they go from Thursday on Spike TV to Wednesday, to Friday on Destination America and now going back to Wednesday.. lol

Also, Dave Meltzer (linking to to wiki page for those who may not know) reported that Destination America is cancelling Impact in September. He's been reporting on wrestling since 1983, and he's well known to be accurate. Of course, that's still four months away so anything could happen between then. I do agree with him that those people wanting Impact to go away or whatever really aren't true fans as a true fan would actually like to have more than one wrestling promotion to watch. While some things make me not like watching Impact (like near constant jabs at WWE now), I would hate if something happened to that company as well.

WWE is having a pay-per-view exclusive to the WWE Network this Sunday. This month is free to new subscribers (as long as you unsubscribe before the 1st, you won't get charged.) I would, but I had already tried that on the free month back in November 2014. And they now have it locked down where you can't share logins anymore either.

#5 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:44 PM

And from out of nowhere, Destination America just announced that starting on June 3rd, they'll be airing Ring of Honor before Impact Wrestling. As far as I know, ROH is just an hour long. It was said it'll be a 26 weeks (six months) deal as well. Supposedly the deal has been in the works for a few months and people over at Impact actually knew nothing of it at all, seeing as how two of the wrestlers from Impact tweeted about hearing it.

From what was said though is Destination America is only paying to air it and not paying for the production and all, which costs them less than it does to air Impact. Still no word if DA is going to still be airing Impact after September, and the 26 week deal would still be going on if they don't. So far nothing has been said on that yet.

Wednesday nights certainly will be interesting as it'll be Ring of Honor, Impact Wrestling, WWE NXT, and Lucha Underground on the same night. I don't know if I can watch another night of three hours as just Monday night with three hours can drag on. Another fun note is there are former WWE and Impact wrestlers on ROH... lol

It is good that ROH would be on here, though it'll be bad if Impact really is gone at the end of September. We'll see what happens I guess. lol

#6 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:04 PM

Notes on the conference call, going to link to the site and not post it here though. Certainly is interesting on some of the notes.

#7 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:02 AM

It's taken me a while to come post in this topic mainly because even though I have a lot to say I don't know how to put into words exactly what I want to say about WWE.

I guess I should start off by saying that I didn't grow up watching wrestling like a lot of people did. I didn't really start watching until about five or six weeks ago.  I was flipping through NijiShow, a program that allows you to watch Japanese programming, and stumbled upon an episode of Monday Night Raw with Japanese subtitles. With nothing else to watch I decided to just leave it on. Next thing you know, I was hooked.

Despite knowing that WWE wrestling is scripted I was absolutely amazed at the athleticism to pull off those crazy moves. I liked the entrance songs and even though now, a month and a half later, I can see glaring problems with it, I even liked the idea of the story lines.

The biggest problem I see with the WWE, coming from someone who totally missed the attitude era and the early days when it was still WWF, is that the personalities are kind of bland.  Despite not growing up with it, I still knew who Hulk Hogan was. I still knew who Macho Man Randy Savage was. I still knew of Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock.  Heck, I even knew a little of CM Punk.  These wrestlers were all part of pop culture and well known even to people who don't follow it.

Who, out of the current roster, can you say that about now?

I had never heard of any of these current guys outside of a few texts that Smz had sent me (like Cena).  After watching for around 5 weeks.. yeah, there are a few interesting personalities, like Bray Wyatt, Daniel Bryan (who is now gone due to injury) and his YES movement, and Bad News Barrett (though he's King Barrett now).  But mostly they're all either very one dimensional or entirely forgettable.

There's also a huge problem when it comes to Divas and the Tag Teams in that ... there's really not enough of them to make them interesting.  It's the same groups/girls going back and forth on wins/losses.  It's hard to build up favorites and power houses when every one of them has lost an equal # of times. 

I don't really have a way to end this post.  Despite the problems that I've seen in the last five weeks or so that I've been watching, I'll probably still continue to watch.  Note that I'm only watching Monday Night Raw and not Impact, NXT, or whatever other various wrestling shows there are so I don't know if these problems carry over or if they're not as bad on the others. 

Anyway..

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#8 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:50 PM

I'd say each thing has their own pros and cons for the most part.

It is kind of lolol, as it was nice a year ago when The Wyatt Family was going up against The Shield and now The Wyatt Family is broken up, Bray more or less saying the same promo for months now (Though I still like hearing it as he's really good at promos/talking regardless) and Luke Harper and Erick Rowan just off doing whatever. I'm not sure on Erick Rowan, but I know Luke Harper is a decent wrestler and is kind of known on the indy scene due to that. He really does pull off the current gimmick he has really well. Seems they really could never find one for Rowan. Just recently Harper and Rowan are back together, but WWE really hasn't done anything yet story-wise.

The tag teams seem to have a decent enough amount, compared to a few years ago. They have 10 teams at the Elimination Chamber pay-per-view this Sunday, though that doesn't seem to have Harper and Rowan. Usos aren't there as one of them is injured, or it could be 12. Sigh. lol

So it really falls to the Divas on really having none. The main roster has lost some of better female wrestlers, though NXT looks to have some good ones (Like Sasha Banks, Becky Lynch, Charlotte and such) though the problem won't change unless WWE actually does something different. Even the current ones they have don't seem to get to do much any more on either Monday or Thursday nights (Like Alicia Fox and such.) I'm wondering how it's going to be a few years later down the road.

Though I sill say two of the heels (bad guys) that I do like right now is Seth Rollins on WWE and Ethan Carter III on Impact. lol

#9 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:41 PM

Oh yeah, I meant to talk about this too lol.

I feel like some of the dramatic resolutions with the heels and faces isn't as good as they could be.  Let me just give an example of what I mean here.

I've been trying to watch older episodes from last year.  I started with an episode where Randy Orton and John Cena were feuding. In one episode Randy Orton "attacked" Cena's father and "sent him to the hospital" (obviously I know it was all staged and no one was actually hurt).  In the storyline this is a pretty awful act, like.. it's a low blow to be going after your opponent's family. Cena was POed against Orton and rightfully so.

In the next episode or two the AUTHORITY basically blasted Randy Orton, saying how awful it was that he went after Cena's dad.  You know, it's pretty bad when the AUTHORITY is blasting you considering they're supposed to be the big bad.  In other words, the storyline and WWE set up Orton to be this really, really bad dude and was setting up this awesome match between Cena and Orton. There were certain times in the episodes where Cena would come out and Orton would just run away, too afraid to face Cena right then and there. Orton made it personal for Cena, after all.

So what happens?  The day of the match finally comes.  John Cena and Randy Orton were set to settle this score.  Cena's dad decided not to press charges against Orton so that Cena could have this epic match--a match to avenge his dad.  You'd expect Cena to come out and just waste him.  To go all out and just DESTROY Orton.  But this doesn't happen.  They come out and stare each other down for a while........then a normal lolCena match begins. All this build up and it just turns into what you'd see on every other Monday Night Raw (even though this epic beatdown was a PPV).

Stuff like that drives me crazy.  WWE doesn't do a horrible job with setting up these great matches between heels and faces but the actual matches and resolutions are so boring.

It's a lot like Rusev vs Cena too.  I know they faced each other a bunch of times but I like how they build Rusev up to basically be Ivan Drogo from Rocky IV--this beast from another country with his eyes set to destroy the USA champion.  But what happens?  lolCena.  At least the "I Quit" match was interesting, but it ended up a total cop out.  Now Rusev went from being this beast from another country to being a walking soap opera.  It's just.. :psyduck:

If I were in charge of Rusev and Cena's storyline I would've made it so Rusev would steamroll everyone (EVERYONE) but to not face Cena til the PPV where it would've been a rough battle for Cena.  In fact, I think I would've made Cena lose (gasp, the horror, I know).  Then I would've had it so Cena was "injured" and couldn't compete for a few weeks. Maybe even make it so Rusev forms some kind of group (like the Shield was) and when Cena returns he has to battle with the new Rusev group for a few weeks, then he gets stronger, and in the next PPV it's another rough battle but Cena comes out victorious and beats Rusev to reclaim the USA championship.

That, I think, would've been a faaaaaaaar more interesting story than what we actually got.  Or probably will ever get, when Cena is involved.

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#10 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:15 PM

I always laugh when the commentators says something like "John Cena has overcome the odds!" when it's so obvious what's going to happen. lol More or less why the sub-reddits has that 'lolcenawins' thing. lol

They did have it where Rusev wasn't defeated for so long, but obviously that stopped when Cena won that title. lol

But oh man, there was a pretty lulz thing about two years ago or so when Damien Sandow (when he was a heel at the time) when he beat up Cena before using his Money in the Bank thing (where you can use it for a title shot at any time) and he still lost to Cena, who could only use one arm at the time due to "injury." RIP, Sandow. Couldn't even win when you had the advantage. lol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wwe, nxt, impact wrestling, lucha libre, sports entertainment, independent wrestling, kayfabe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users