95 replies to this topic

#1 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:37 PM

It's a new year and time to start a new thread.  The old thread was 5 years old and was getting kind of long.  So let's start over with a fresh slate here.

Currently I am working on Final Fantasy X-2 HD (beat chapter 1) and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Wii U virtual console edition.  The latter I've beaten a dozen times or more on the original SNES and even on the Wii virtual console but was feeling nostalgic and decided to play it.  I'm currently on the ice temple in the dark world.

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#2 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:32 PM

I can't bring myself to play X-2. It drives me insane. I've played it for a few hours but then I just get bored/tired of or otherwise disgusted with it and play just about anything else.

As for what I'm currently playing...

Tomb Raider (2012 Reboot) PS3- This game is FUN! Basically take everything that was annoying about the original Tomb Raider games, get rid of it, add in weapon and character leveling and heavy action elements with tight controls and you have this game! Also the story is pretty good.

Resident Evil: Revelations - PS3 Its Resident Evil Lite more or less. Run around, shoot monsters in little mini episodes. Basically if you don't know the entire story of resident Evil, you lose a bit of the intrigue the story offers, but its not a bad game for you to just pick up and play either.

Marvel Puzzle Quest (Mobile/Android) - Every...Single...Day. I'm just addicted. Gotta get my ISO 8 and level characters and win more rare crap. Its like crack.

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:15 PM

Yeah, FFX-2 is just.. I don't know.  It's just so different.  FFX had a very solid battle system and while the story is a bit confusing at first once you really start to get into it you'll find the story of FFX is actually really good.  FFX-2 is just "GIRL POWER!" and a lot of stuff makes no freaking sense at all.   I want to state that there's absolutely nothing wrong with having an all female cast of characters, but the game is just overly cheesy and they changed too much.  Bravo to SE for actually trying something new rather than rehashing the same stuff over and over but good grief.  They could have done baby steps or figured out a better story or something. 

And the battle system.. real time battle systems aren't new to Final Fantasy but it just seems too hectic.  While I'm trying to figure out what skills/attacks/items to use I'm getting hammered to death by everything on screen.  I'm having a really hard time adapting to it. 

I want to beat it, just because it isn't that long of a game (well, when compared to X) but I don't know.  It annoys me too.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#4 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:41 PM

Meanwhile I remember renting the game a ton and playing through a lot of it, though never got to the 100% completion for the true ending... lol

Battle system isn't much different than any other one with the ATB, and I did like being able to change classes like in Final Fantasy 5. lol

#5 ItsNotTheEd

ItsNotTheEd

Giant Robot Pilot

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:40 AM

I played FFX one time, and ended up getting stuck.  I think I rushed it, and ended up in an area where I couldn't go back and I was extremely underleveled.  It was years ago, and I can't remember the details, I just remember getting One Hit KO'd multiple times and lots of frustration.  It was my first experience with Final Fantasy, and also my last.  I haven't touched the series since.

Not game related, but I just remembered something about FFVII.  Put it in a spoiler.

Spoiler

Now, for games, I'm still stuck on Fallout 4.  I had a little bit of time to kill yesterday, but not enough to start a Fallout Adventure, so I booted up Tropico 5.  I'm a big fan of the Tropico Series, and I've been playing since 3.  This one... I'm not so sure about yet.  They tried to do a lot more with this one, and I think they did too much.  They threw in different eras now, and all of the factions are related to that era.  Some of the buildings are only available if you get to a certain era, as well.  As usual, the soundtrack is awesome as long as you like Cuban music.

REBEL AGAINST THE IYOUBOUSHI!! Even though this forum is new, I still stand firmly by my beliefs! He is out to get us! OUT TO GET US ALL!!

#6 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:59 AM

Ouch. Your first (and only?) Final Fantasy was FFX?  Look, I like FFX (I've played through it completely 3 times and started playing it in original Japanese on PS2 and on the emulator with upscaling before the HD version came out) but I would never suggest FFX as someone's first Final Fantasy.  The plot in FFX is a bit.. weird (especially towards the end) and isn't straight forward in certain aspects (I can't spoil it since you probably never got that far lol).  The battle system in X is awesome though but the leveling system is unlike any other FF game up until that point (I heard FF13 is also an odd one but I've never played that one).  The main problem with X is that it's basically a long hallway (same problem as 13, really).  You just go from zone to zone and there's not much exploring.  You go from Besaid to Killika.  There's no option to go from Besaid to somewhere else first, as an example.  And the cutscenes can't be skipped (and they go on forever in some places).

I would highly suggest you go back to the SNES era and play either FF4 (it was dubbed FF2 here, but I would try to find a FF4 retranslation on emulator, or on GBA, as "FF2" is dumbed down a bit) or FF6 (FF3 on SNES, they've fixed it for GBA and beyond).  FF6 is one of my favorites and as much as I love FF4 to death (I think I've played every version ever made of it) I think FF6 would be a better introduction to the series.  Awesome music, a great (but cliche) plot, lots of exploring, tons of sidequests, lots of interesting mechanics and a more straight forward leveling system. 

But if you ever decide to just go back to FFX figure out where you are and let me know.  There's ways to beat the game without touching the sphere grid so even though you think you're under-leveled there's probably a way to keep going forward.  Though it would be much harder than it would be to just restart and make sure you're leveled.  :XD:

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#7 ItsNotTheEd

ItsNotTheEd

Giant Robot Pilot

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:29 AM

That was years and years ago on PS2.  It wasn't recommended to me to get into the series, it was just a "I'm bored. Got any good games?" to a buddy.  I don't know honestly if I would try it again.  I don't really have the patience for long games anymore because I get distracted too easily, and I don't think I'll have any time to game in the near future (school starts on the 19th).

Spoiler

REBEL AGAINST THE IYOUBOUSHI!! Even though this forum is new, I still stand firmly by my beliefs! He is out to get us! OUT TO GET US ALL!!

#8 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:31 AM

Honestly I used to be in a place much like Ed. I hated all RPGS until I played FFVII and Chrono Trigger. Those two sold me on the idea, and to this day remain my two favorite RPG's ever. (with Lunar the silver star story being the third.)

#9 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:13 PM

Not listed on my backloggery yet, but I did start Earthbound Beginnings that I got months ago on the Wii U. Mainly as a quick check to see if I can use the pro controller on the Wii U virtual console games. Which you can, so that'll help as Metroid: Zero Mission was just released on the Wii U virtual console. I'm only getting this right away since I lost the actual cart in 2007, and it's probably my favorite Metroid game.

8bitHippie.png

I guess hippies are easy to make evil... lol

Just from the quick play I did, I can tell I'm going to get annoyed with it, mainly when trying to talk to npcs (Sometimes they move when you're bringing up the menu to use talk, then have to exit the menu and do it again.) lol

#10 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

I beat Tomb Raider (2012) but now I'm just going around exploring and shooting random things with arrows.  

other than that, I'm playing Marvel Puzzle Quest on PS3 as well as Phone, the phone one is daily crack that I must play every day, the other is just as good but I can live without it.  When I finish up with Tomb Raider, I'll probably star working on Batman Arkham Origins and Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate  both on PS3, cause reasons.

By the time I finish with those, I'll probably be deep deep into exploring the wonders of PS4 and Transformers Devastation and InFAMOUS: Second Son and First Light.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users