127 replies to this topic

#1 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

We already have topics for what games we're currently playing, some of the latest great deals on games, and a bunch for individual games or series, but we don't really have a "general" topic where we can just talk about news, or games that don't really have their own topics (and probably won't get them), or console info.  This topic can serve this need.  Feel free to use this topic to post anything that doesn't already have a home.

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#2 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:05 PM

I'll start by posting the latest news I saw today:

Mighty No. 9 has gone gold and will be released on June 21, 2016!

I know we have a topic for Bloodstained, but we never made a topic for the original Kickstarter game by an old high-profile game developer, Mighty No. 9. For those who are unaware of what the heck this is, six years ago Keiji Inafune--the guy who worked at Capcom and was responsible for the art for Megaman, the character Zero, the development of Onimusha (and more)--quit Capcom and started his own company, titled Comcept.  On August 31, 2013, Inafune started a Kickstarter project for a game he was working on that is similar to Mega Man, known as Mighty No. 9.  And the internet went nuts.

The concept art looked cool and it was being developed by the guy who was involved with Megaman from the beginning.  How could this possibly go wrong?  It got funded super fast but as time went on it got delayed again and again (I think it was actually delayed 3 times) and the new footage and screenshots of the game weren't as nice as the concepts.  It turned out that they were using the Unreal engine instead of developing an engine of their own. Some people were mad that they had backed this project and as it kept getting delayed others began to wonder if it was ever going to be released at all.

Well skip ahead to today.  Keiji Inafune has released a statement saying that the game has "gone gold" and will be released in June 21 for Mac, Linux, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Wii U, Xbox 360 and Xbox One on that date in North America and Asia. It will launch worldwide on those platforms on June 24. Deep Silver is publishing the game on consoles.

The versions for Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita will follow at a later date (which is making even more people mad, since a lot of people wanted those versions more than the main consoles and PC).

But there you have it.  Will the game be good?  Will it flop?  We'll find out in a little over a month.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#3 ItsNotTheEd

ItsNotTheEd

Giant Robot Pilot

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:21 AM

Fallout 4: Rant Edition

I've been playing Fallout 4 for a little while now (over 50 hours) and there are a few things that just don't fit the feel of the Fallout franchise.  I'll keep any spoilers segregated, if I even use any.

First up is the lore. 

Bethesda has usually always been good with giving their games multiple stories within their games, and just having a lot of side quests that can wrap you in just like the main quest line.  Such was the case for Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, though not as much in NV.  I remember playing Fallout 3 for the thousandth time, and still replaying some of the same side quests because the story for it was just that good.  I would constantly read the journal entries randomly found in computer terminals throughout the wasteland, reading a story from an unfortunate family, and then using clues from the entry going out and finding where that family was holding out. Or just being creeped out because I accidentally discovered a secret society of cannibals.  There was always something new to find, and always a story behind it.  That's not the case for Fallout 4.  The majority of the side quests are "Another settlement needs your help!" from Preston.  I'm sure you've all seen the memes.  I don't know if it was just laziness or what, but almost all of the NPCs are just nameless filler. Settler, Provisioner, Worker, those are what most of the characters are named.  I don't even feel bad when I get that evil streak and wipe out all of the people living in a town because I know in a few hours everyone will spawn back up and it will be like nothing ever happened.

Settlements

This was a new mechanic to the game that at first I was all for.  I actually felt like I was rebuilding the wasteland one small group at a time.  The downside of this?  The more settlements you build, the MORE ANNOYING IT GETS.  For example, I was in the middle of the Endgame (no spoilers) and five of my settlements became under attack.  One I found out was from the faction that I sided with (I'll touch more on that later in a spoiler).  A lot of people that I worked hard to please were dead, just like that.  I couldn't abandon the mission because it was the Endgame mission.  I physically could not leave if I wanted to.  Now, they can defend themselves if you give them the proper gear and defenses, but it's hard enough to just make sure they have enough beds, food, and water all the time.  Now I have to pick up extra loot for you, too?  And is there really a downside to them dying?  Another "settler" will eventually show up to take their place anyway.  It was a good mechanic, but they based too much of the game on it and don't have enough reward.  I just started my second playthrough, and I will not be focusing on settlers this time.

Factions

***Most of this will be in a spoiler, so if you care about the story being ruined stay away.***

There are four factions in the game:  

Spoiler

Overall, I really enjoy the game.  I love how all of the enemies have been revamped, and are actually scary sometimes.  It sets a mood to the game that Fallout hasn't done yet, to this extent.  It's similar at the beginning of Fallout 3, but as soon as you level up enough it's all just a cakewalk.  In this game, I'm over level 40 (OP in Fallout 3 and New Vegas) and I'm still terrified of Super Mutants, Deathclaws, and even Feral Ghouls on occasion.  There are a few things that I just think Bethesda really dropped the ball on.

REBEL AGAINST THE IYOUBOUSHI!! Even though this forum is new, I still stand firmly by my beliefs! He is out to get us! OUT TO GET US ALL!!

#4 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:17 PM

Disney Cancels Infinity, No Longer Self-Publishing Games

I never got into the Infinity craze but this kind of sucks for those who did. Also read that by shutting this down they cut 300 jobs.  GG.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#5 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:16 PM

Konami Profits Rise After Switching Focus to Mobile

Sigh.  That's it then.  I really doubt Konami will ever return to the console world which means game series like Contra and Castlevania are most likely done for good (or will be reduced to horrible phone games; same difference, really).

I really hate that mobile gaming is as big as it is.  Like I said before in a different thread, who wants to play a game on a screen the size of your palm!?  Yeah, I know there are some bigger phones out there (iphone 6+ is huge, some of the Samsung phones are huge too) but even that... I just can't imagine it.

I guess someone could argue that the screen on a gameboy was smaller than phone screens are today and we loved playing games on gameboy.  True, but the difference on that is that the gameboy was a dedicated gaming machine.  It had buttons for gaming (at the very least an A, B, START, SELECT, and a D-pad).  Ever try to control a game where the buttons are ON the screen?  It's terrible if you don't have a big screen. 

Imagine if you had to play Mario on a gameboy screen but also had to touch the screen in order to move him and tap on-screen buttons to make him jump.  How much fun would that be? As someone who bought the mobile version of Devil May Cry 4 I think I can honestly say that it's not very fun.

Anyway, I know it's a huge market so all developers are trying to get into it and some companies, like Konami, have abandoned the console market entirely due to mobile games being cheaper and faster to make (and plus can always have tons of micro-transactions to keep raking in profits after the game is out) but it's just sad to me.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#6 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:05 PM

Honestly I don't know what topic this should go in so I'll put it in here.

DBZ Pokemon Hack pictures

There's a Pokemon hack that is all DBZ.  You get Goku and can "evolve" him into SSJ1-4 Goku.  The trainers are other characters from DBZ, as are the pokemon themselves it looks like.  It looks pretty awesome, if not a little silly too.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#7 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:10 AM

SE is finally making a Final Fantasy XII remastered version.. but it's only coming out for the PS4.  Lulz.

FFXII was originally released for the PS2 in 2006. Famitsu reports that the HD version, however, will be based on Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System. Besides revamped character models and cutscenes, the game will feature auto-save, shorter load times, and an improved turbo mode. The score has been re-recorded, but The Zodiac Age will also feature the original soundtrack.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age is slated for a 2017 release in Japan. So far, the game has been announced for the PS4. No word yet about a Western release window or other platforms.

Here's the trailer.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#8 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

So many issues on Mighty No. 9 that I've seen. Various issues on all versions of the game, especially the Wii U version which can freeze and need a hard reboot to close the game. People saying mainly due to it using Unreal Engine 3, instead of Unreal Engine 4. I don't know if the bricking claims are legit, though I know some Wii U systems have the faulty memory. So who knows.

Then PR/communication issues. Apparently one person they hired during the beta was banning kickstarter backers from the forums, which is major lulz as that was one of the perks from it as well, among other issues. Said person was later gone, but after the beta was over, so that was too late then. And it seems that line of: "it's not perfect, but it's better than nothing." wasn't from Inafune, but from Ben Judd instead (yes, the same one working with Iga on Bloodstained.) What Inafune said was: "I own all the problems that came with the game and if you want to hurl insults at me, it's totally my fault. I'm the key creator. I will own that responsibility." So now I'm wondering if I need to second-guess Judd. lololol

I'll probably wait for a sale before I do get that game, but I won't do it at $20. I hope that Inafune does learn from this, if there is a next time.

For non-lulz, it looks like Koei-Tecmo/Omega Force is making a new Berserk game. The developer name alone should tell you the game type, it'll be a Musou/Dynasty Warriors style game. Considering how Berserk is, that's probably a fitting style for the game. It's going to be for the PS3/PS4/Vita in Japan, PS4/Vita/PC in the West. September 2016 for Japan, so I bet early or spring 2017 for the West. A few pics that I saw for it:

Spoiler

#9 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:58 AM

Not really a game, per se, but not really enough to devote an entire topic to it either.  But remember those little machines that have built-in games?  You know, the Sega Genesis one that has 80 games, the Atari console that has 100 games...etc. Well, Nintendo is jumping on that bandwagon and is introducing the "Mini NES Classic Edition".  Although the machine can't play old NES games (which is kind of sad, since I think the Sega one could), it does have 30 built-in games for you to play and comes with a classic NES controller to play them with.  It also has an HDMI port so it can connect to modern TVs.

Here's the list of games:

[*]Balloon Fight
    [*]Bubble Bobble
    [*]Castlevania
    [*]Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
    [*]Donkey Kong
    [*]Donkey Kong Jr.
    [*]Double Dragon II: The Revenge
    [*]Dr. Mario
    [*]Excitebike
    [*]Final Fantasy
    [*]Galaga
    [*]Ghosts'N Goblins
    [*]Gradius
    [*]Ice Climber
    [*]Kid Icarus
    [*]Kirby's Adventure
    [*]Mario Bros.
    [*]Mega Man 2
    [*]Metroid
    [*]Ninja Gaiden
    [*]Pac-Man
    [*]Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
    [*]StarTropics
    [*]Super C
    [*]Super Mario Bros.
    [*]Super Mario Bros. 2
    [*]Super Mario Bros. 3
    [*]Tecmo Bowl
    [*]The Legend of Zelda
    [*]Zelda II: The Adventure of Link 
    [/list]

Some of those seem like odd choices (like Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest).  Still, there's some decent games on there. It'll be $60 and will be released in November of this year.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#10 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:42 PM

Not too bad, never thought Nintendo would do that. Probably not many that I would play, but I do see some that I would anyway. Maybe in the future they'll release one for SNES games.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: games, wii u, ps3, ps4, pc, xbox, xbone, general, discussion, news

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users