• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:22 PM

dragon_quest_builders_logo.png

Dragon Quest Builders is a sandbox action role-playing video game developed and published by Square Enix for the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation Vita consoles. The game is set in Alefgard, the world of the original Dragon Quest video game, and players control the savior who is tasked with rebuilding the world after it was destroyed by the evil Dragonlord. The game features a voxel aesthetic style, with gathering and building elements similar to Minecraft and Terraria.
You can find the trailer for the game on the official site.

I can't remember if I posted anything about this before. The PS3 option is only for Japan.

The demo for the worldwide version was just released, so I downloaded it last night and tried it earlier to the end of the demo. If you've played Dragon Quest and Minecraft, then you should have an idea on what to expect.  Like a Dragon Quest game, it has a story. Looks like it takes place after the first game, which it'll hint at right away.

I'd say the demo is slightly longer than how the Minecraft console version is, due to it being story-based. As far as I know, it won't have online at all. S-E says that it might be possible if they make a second game. You can still mess around after you hit the demo end, though you won't be able to mine stone blocks and such. Mainly just the earth/plants/food and certain other objects. Character options are a bit limited, not sure if it'll be like this in the full game or not. I saw hair/eye/skin color and gender for the character customization. You can also get blueprints that you can set on the ground, to use as reference to place blocks/items. There's a few things around the island, notably a sleeping dragon not too far away. In the demo, you'll only do 0 - 1 damage and it has a lot of health. People who actually took the time said that it drops a.... green sofa. Weird. lol

To be honest, I do like it and I'll probably end up getting it. I know it's basically Minecraft, but with more focus on story. As with any other modern game, it has pre-order stuff. From what I can tell, the block recipes it gives are for the free-build mode, so I think that means you can't use it on the story mode.

#2 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:13 AM

First thing, it's not exactly like Minecraft. You can't dig crazy tunnels, that I'm aware of anyway. I got a better tool for blocks, so I might test to see how far down you can go. As with most other Dragon Quest games, the focus is on the story. You pretty much have to make the most use out of the area you're given for the town, and can't go past the border. NPCs won't recognize stuff outside the border, and it'll make issues for the story combat if you try to build the base beyond it.

I did see something about storage being reset, but it's actually a bit something else just due to the story. I'm not close to the end of Chapter 1. Maybe half or 75% if I had to guess. But I do want to post about how the game handles chapters, from what I've seen. I'll post it in spoiler just in case, so up to you if you want to see it or just be surprised by it. I only looked so I know what to plan for since I'm streaming it.

Each chapter has it's own save slot, and you can go back to the older chapters via their own save to mess around after the boss fights. So it's not a loss of everything, you just start with nothing for the next chapter

#3 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:05 AM

I really wish I could play this but of course no PS3 support over here.  I could probably import the Japanese version but even though I know some Japanese I don't think I'd know enough to play a game like DQ.  The other games I have in Japanese don't really require a ton of knowledge in order to play (like Bleach Blade Battlers or that DBZ game) but I imagine this one probably does.  So GG SE.  I don't know why all of a sudden they hate the PS3 (they did the same thing with DQ Heroes but at least that one is on Steam). It's going to be ages before I get a PS4.

But at least I can watch your stream of it lol.

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#4 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:49 PM

Yeah, there's a ton of text in the game. lol I guess blame people everywhere else ditching the PS3 wherever they can, so they just went with how the market is outside Japan.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dragon quest, sandbox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users