13 replies to this topic

#1 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,004 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:35 AM

Welcome to 2017! Hopefully this year will be great for movies lol.

Although not exactly from this year, Bri and I did rewatch The Crow (1994) two nights ago.

A poetic guitarist Eric Draven is brought back to life by a crow a year after he and his fiancée are murdered. The crow guides him through the land of the living, and leads him to his killers: knife thrower Tin-tin, drugetic Funboy, car buff T-Bird, and the unsophisticated Skank. One by one, Eric gives these thugs a taste of their own medicine.

It's an oldie but still pretty good.  I think it's a cult classic at this point, to be honest.  I enjoy rewatching it every now and then.

IMDB Rating: 7.6/10

My Rating: yeah, I'll copy IMDB.  7.6/10

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:43 AM

Well last night we tried to have a Ring-a-thon but watched the first one and only about half of the second one before it was too late to continue.  So I'll talk about the second one later, for now.. The Ring (2002)

Rachel Keller is a journalist investigating a videotape that may have killed four teenagers (including her niece). There is an urban legend about this tape: the viewer will die seven days after watching it. If the legend is correct, Rachel will have to run against time to save her son's and her own life.

By now I'd be surprised if there was anyone out there who -hadn't- heard of this movie. I mean, there's two Japanese movies (Ringu and Ringu 2), the two American releases (The Ring and The Ring 2), the original Japanese book that the movies are based on, the upcoming reboot (Rings) and countless parodies done in pop culture (between movies like Scary Movie and cartoons like Family Guy).  But if you have somehow lived under a rock that's bigger than the one I live under, I would recommend you go watch it simply because it is a part of pop culture.

As for how this 15 year old movie holds up.. well, it's a relic of its time.  In 2002 cell phones were barely starting to become popular and VHS was still a thing.  There's kids old enough to watch this movie now who have never seen a VHS before and are probably very confused on what a tape is and why it's killing people.  The concept is interesting, at least, and the special effects are pretty cool (I still like when she crawls out of the TV ) but the ending is a little.. meh to me.   Overall, it isn't a bad movie but don't expert a masterpiece.  Also a movie like this wouldn't work quite the same if it was DVDs instead of VHS.. so I really wonder how the reboot will be (unless they're keeping the same concept in which case I ask why bother?)

My rating: 6/10

IMDB Rating: 7.1/10

For what it's worth, the American remake of Ringu was pretty close to the original movie.  There were a few things changed/left out but overall it's pretty much the same film.  Can't say the same for the second though.  And while I'll talk more about it after I see it, I wasn't too impressed with the first half of The Ring 2...  so let's hope the second half is better.

~James~

#3 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:33 PM

We finished The Ring Two (2005) and watched The Skeleton Key (2005).  First up, Ring 2..

A high school student named Jake tries to make his girlfriend Emily watch a cursed tape. But then Jake finds out that Emily covered her eyes and didn't watch the tape, and then Jake is killed by Samara Morgan (from the first The Ring movie). Rachel Keller learns of Jake's death and finds his twisted body in the back of an ambulance. Rachel then realizes she once again has to save her son Aidan from Samara the evil ghost child.

So with the first Ring I urged everyone to go watch it if they hadn't as it's part of pop culture and is actually a pretty neat concept.  You won't catch me saying that about the sequel.  The sequel, to me, is just a bland mix of nonsensical plot points that drag along in an uninspiring mess.

Yes, it has the same characters and it takes place a little bit after the first one.  The secret to how to survive the 7 days after watching the ring video appears to be common knowledge but after the first couple the tape is burned (yes, spoiler, no I don't care) and that really seems to be the end of that.  But the ghost of Samara no longer needs the tape to cause problems and seeks to possess Rachel's son in an attempt to live again with a mommy she never really had.  Overall it's just.. meh.

My rating: 4/10

IMDB rating: 5.4/10

Skeleton Key, on the other hand, is a pretty cool film that I really enjoy watching. 

A young hospice worker helping care for an invalid who lives in a remote mansion in the Louisiana bayous finds herself caught in the middle of morbid happenings centered around a group of Hoodoo practitioners.

It has a pretty neat twist at the end that is a little disturbing if you stop and actually think about what it would be like to have that happen to you.  It's rated PG-13 so don't look for much blood, gore or violence, but it's a psychological thriller.  It's plot heavy and is interesting.  Check it out if you haven't already.

My rating: 6.5/10

IMDB rating: 6.5/10

~James~

#4 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

Bri and I have been busy watching stuff lately lol.  We started with Never Sleep Again (2010) which is a documentary about the Nightmare on Elm Street films.  Then we watched the first half of Crystal Lake Memories (2013) which is the documentary about the Friday the 13th movies.  I say the first half because the first half of that is over 3 hours long (the Never Sleep Again documentary is also about that long lol).  We'll be watching the second half eventually but after doing the first half we decided we kind of want to watch the Nightmare movies again so that's what we've been doing for the last few nights.

There's so many Nightmare movies that it's kinda hard for me to just talk about them all here but I'll just briefly say some things and try to rate them lol.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Easily the best of the series since it's the original.  Wes Craven only really imagined that this would be a one-shot movie, not a franchise, so Freddy wasn't meant to have a real backstory or be this silly villain that can be bested over and over. Thus the seriousness of this film. And it works pretty well.  I'd easily give this one a 9/10 (IMDB gives it a 7.5/10)

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)

This one is always the Nightmare movie I skip if I'm watching them all again though this time I watched it and..well, it still doesn't hold up that well.  It has some really bad acting, some really cheesy parts, and just.. ugh.  There's almost nothing redeemable in this one, at least in my opinion.  This one is a like a 2/10 for me (IMDB gives it a 5.4 which surprises me) and could be a Bad Movie Monday candidate.  It gets a 2/10 instead of a 1/10 from me only because I have seen some truly awful films for BMM and this one is still a bit better than some of those lol.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)

Although I said the first one is easily the best, this one is right up there with it.  This is probably my personal favorite of the series. It has some of the best lines/kills from Freddy, the concept is awesome, they brought Nancy back, and just overall this one is a true sequel and what all of the films should have aspired to.  Oh and the music is pretty good too (go Dokken!).  I always have fun watching this one.  Definitely 9/10 from me (IMDB gives it a 6.6/10 because they hate fun).

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)

They obviously tried to capture the same magic that the third one had by making it take place not too long afterwards and with some of the same characters from the third (even though Kristen's actress was recast).  Unfortunately it just wasn't as good.  Having said that, it's still probably the fourth best in the series in my opinion (original, 3 and new nightmare being the top 3). And it was interesting that Alice could absorb everyone else's dream powers for herself and used them all at the end to help her.  Maybe 6/10 for me (5.7/10 for IMDB)

A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)

Alice is back again and this time we get to learn a little more about Freddy's origin story.  Unfortunately this film is just average for me though I have to admit that the comic book scene was pretty well done. The way Freddy is restored is just WTF-worthy and the way he's beaten is just.. okay.  I don't really know what else to say about this one really. 5/10 for me (IMDB gives it 5.1/10)

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)

"They saved the best for last" is the tagline for this film but.. uhh no.  Not even close. This is the film that has the power glove scene and really jumps the shark.  The plot with this one attempts to really fill in Freddy's back story but it's just.. unnecessary. Do we really need to know more about Freddy beyond what the other five movies had told us?   It takes place 10 years later. Alice is long gone (apparently, as she nor her child even get mentioned) and Freddy has successfully killed every kid in the town except for 1, who he allows to live so that he can bring back Freddy's own kid (so that he can escape the town and go on to kill kids in other cities).  I don't know. Maybe on paper it read better.. although from what I understand, having watched that documentary before all this, a lot of these films were just made up as they went along (and it shows lol).  The kills in this one are over the top, almost Loony Tunes style, and the ending is just.. really?  Also it was in 3D because why not?  This film is definitely second worst for me. My rating: 3/10 (IMDB gave it 4.9/10)

New Nightmare (1994)

They finally gave control back to Wes Craven for the final main Nightmare film (we pretend the reboot doesn't exist, and Freddy vs Jason is a crossover film lol). And it's a good thing they did.  Wes Craven did a fantastic job of sort of bringing the series back to its roots.  Freddy was finally scary again and the concept of the film, with the actors playing themselves, was meta and interesting at the time (I can't recall having seen many films do something like this back then; obviously there's more that have done it since).  I really like the newer, darker, Freddy--the way Wes Craven had imagined him at the start.  Though I have to admit that some of the lines in the other films were funny so I'm kinda torn lol.  But overall, this one and the original are probably the best two of the entire franchise (though my personal favorite is still #3).  I give this one a 9/10 too.  (IMDB gave it a 6.4/10)

As for that documentary about the whole series.. definitely 10/10.  Watch it if you like the franchise and want to learn more about how they were made, the struggles they faced, the thoughts and ideas they originally had and being able to see some behind the scene footage (and missing scenes that never made it into the films). 

I'm not as interested in Friday the 13th so I doubt we'll be doing a marathon of every one of those films (plus there's like 12 of them lol) but that documentary is pretty interesting too (though in my opinion not as good as the Nightmare one).

~James~

#5 KuroMa

KuroMa

Shinigami Vice Captain

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:56 PM

Yesterday I watched Avalon (2001), which feels a lot like Ghost in the Shell at times, probably because it's the same director and sountrack composer. I liked the plot, especially the twist near the end, even though the action scenes could have been better.

#6 KuroMa

KuroMa

Shinigami Vice Captain

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:47 PM

Yesterday I watched Ghost in the Shell: Innocence (2004). It doesn't end in a leap in evolution like the first one does, but it's still a very good movie. Also nice to see how graphics evolve; the first Ghost in the Shell definitely feels like a 90's anime; the sequel has CGI that feels like it's out of the PS2 era!

I just realized I didn't pick my favorites from 2016! Didn't we all pick our 2015 favorites last year too? I went over to the 2016 thread to see how many movies I saw and it seems like I watched a bunch in January and February then some more in December and that's it :psyduck: Here's hoping I'll remind myself not to do that this year!

Since it's basically one musical (Swing Time), one Poirot adaption (The Big Four) and the rest is all Ghibli, I'll pick just one favorite, Whisper of the Heart (1995)! There's probably very few Ghibli films that don't involve anything supernatural whatsoever (the only other one is probably Grave of the Fireflies, which I don't feel like watching yet), but I like this one best.

Dead, Iyou and Smz, you guys watched A LOT more movies than I did! Looking forwards to knowing what your favorites are. :dancing:

#7 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:07 PM

Well, you're not joking about how many movies I've watched lol.  This is just the stuff that I can remember and/or wrote about in the 2016 thread. I'm sure I watched more that I didn't mention.  Here's the list..

Spoiler

I'm going to exclude rewatches for my favorites of the year.  If I didn't the Kenshin movies would win, hands down.  But since I already saw those.. let's see..

My favorite action flick for 2016 would probably be Captain America: Civil War. The other three Marvel films I saw last year (Deadpool, Ant-Man and Dr. Strange) were all really good too but I think Civil War was just the best of them (and all the Marvel films blew the DC films out of the water).  As for animated films.. Zootopia wins easily.  Even though Finding Dory was decent, Zootopia was awesome and still cracks me up.  For a more drama filled film, Forsaken was my favorite and for comedy.. it's hard to really pick one.  Comedy is very subjective anyway.  And finally, horror.. my favorite genre.  I watched a lot of horror movies last year.. but Lights Out was probably the most unique of them all.  The Conjuring 2 is a runner up though. 

Oh and my dishonorable mentions..  Krampus was not what I was expecting and nearly put me to sleep, Halloween III was just... horrible.. but Urban Legends: Bloody Mary wins the award for being so bad and for being a franchise that fell so far (the original Urban Legends is an awesome movie).  Just never see it.

~James~

#8 Smz

Smz

Powerful GM

• Administrators
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:12 AM

Just to make it easier, will have a list.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Mad Max: Fury Road

Pixels

Robocop (2014)

The Magnificent Seven (1960)

Antman

Looking at 2015... I never posted in there it seems. Pretty sure I saw some movies then like The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, The Avengers: Age of Ultron... I generally see them later than the actual year, so I probably saw Guardians of the Galaxy then too, and I think the newer version of Total Recall. I know X-Men: First Class is there somewhere, but I couldn't stand to watch the whole thing for some reason. Hard to pick favorites for 2015 when I barely remember movies from then. I guess the same can apply to 2016 since I didn't post them all and don't remember now. I just have a difficult time watching movies, I suppose.

So I'll do it like this then, for 2016:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Mad Max

Magnificent Seven

2015:

Guardians of the Galaxy

I really couldn't get into Age of Ultron, even more-so on X-Men: First Class. Not really sure why, but it's probably just me on that, since I see everyone else saying how much they liked them. lol

Posted Image

#9 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:36 AM

So we've also been watching the Star Wars movies again, in anticipation of eventually watching Rogue One (2016).  I already talked about my feelings on the prequels a thread or two ago so I won't really talk about them again.  Maybe when we get to the original trilogy I'll talk about them a bit lol. 

We've also been rewatching the Hunger Games series.  Last night we watched the first and second of the four films.  Again, I've pretty much already talked myself to death about them in previous threads so I don't know if I'll try to recap here or not.

Finally, before we started rewatching all that, we rewatched Wayne's World (1992).

Wayne is still living at home. He may not have a job but he does have his own public access TV show. A local station decides to hire him and his sidekick, Garth, to do their show professionally and Wayne & Garth find that it is no longer the same. Wayne falls for a bass guitarist and uses his and Garth's Video contacts to help her career along, knowing that Ben Oliver, the sleazy advertising guy who is ruining their show will probably take her away from him if they fail.

This movie is one of the very few Saturday Night Live sketches to really work as a full feature length film (the other being Blues Brothers).  It's got lots of comedy and always cracks me up. But it's also very 90's and rewatching it in the middle of the 2010's is so strange.  Definitely check it out if you haven't.

My rating: 8/10

IMDB Rating: 7/10

~James~

#10 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:48 AM

Last night we went and watched the movie Split (2016).

When three girls are kidnapped by a man with 24 different personalities they have to work out which of those personalities will help them escape and which of those personalities will try to stop them.

M. Night Shyamalan returns with yet another psychological thriller. However, unlike the previous film of his I watched (The Visit), this one kept me on edge for most of the film.  It starts off with a birthday party and escalates super quickly as the three girls are kidnapped within the first 5 minutes.  From there it's a crazy ride.  While the main dominate personalities are asleep, after setting up their master plan, some of the more innocent personalities reach out to the doctor who has been working with them for years in an attempt to get help. 

It's one of those movies that's kind of hard to talk about without spoiling anything and I think this film definitely deserves to be seen without being spoiled.  The thing that I think I really liked was the doctor who did explain a lot about the whole dissociative identity disorder.  From what I understand of the subject, which admittedly is not much--Bri knows more than I do--they stayed fairly faithful to how it really is.  Most people with DID describe a room full of chairs where the personalities are sitting in the room and the one who has control is in the "spotlight" so to speak.  They did do a fairly good job with all that in this film.

So I'd say see it if the subject interests you or you like psych thrillers.  It really isn't so much "horror" as I was expecting though there are some parts that are like wtf towards the end.  Oh and there is a twist (well duh, it's M Night) and I'll just spoil it here so you don't spend the entire film looking for it.  The twist is that the film takes place in the same narrative universe as Unbreakable .  There.   The twist itself really has nothing to do with the film which is a little disappointing but I guess it sets up for the future.

IMDB Rating: 7.5/10

My Rating: 7.3/10

~James~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users