13 replies to this topic

#11 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,004 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:38 AM

The other day I watched The Last Samurai (2003) by myself.  Actually I should say rewatch as I did see it back in like 2004 or 2005.  It had been a really long time though and my memory is so bad that I had forgotten a lot of the film.

In the 1870s, Captain Nathan Algren, a cynical veteran of the American Civil war who will work for anyone, is hired by Americans who want lucrative contracts with the Emperor of Japan to train the peasant conscripts for the first standing imperial army in modern warfare using firearms. The imperial Omura cabinet's first priority is to repress a rebellion of traditionalist Samurai -hereditary warriors- who remain devoted to the sacred dynasty but reject the Westernizing policy and even refuse firearms. Yet when his ill-prepared superior force sets out too soon, their panic allows the sword-wielding samurai to crush them. Badly wounded Algren's courageous stand makes the samurai leader Katsumoto spare his life; once nursed to health he learns to know and respect the old Japanese way and must choose which side to stand for in the conflict.

Although there's quite a bit of action in this film the focus of the film is more on the drama and characters.  Also, from what I understand, they did a fairly decent job with the historical accuracy.  Overall I really do enjoy this film, possibly even more now that I'm a little older and know a little more about Japanese history.  There is really only one major plot point that kind of took me out of the film and it's basically the ending, so I'll put it behind a spoiler tag here. 

Spoiler

Anyway, with that said... definitely check it out if you like historical drama films.  It's well done.  And it does have a lot of action too lol.

IMDB Rating: 7.7/10

My rating: 8/10

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#12 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:24 PM

The other night Bri made me watch The Dark Crystal (1982) as I had never seen it before.

Another planet, another time. 1000 years ago the mysterious Dark Crystal was damaged by one of the Urskeks and an age of chaos has began! The evil race of grotesque birdlike lizards the Skeksis, gnomish dragons who rule their fantastic planet with an iron claw. Meanwhile the orphan Jen, raised in solitude by a race of the peace-loving wizards called the Mystics, embarks on a quest to find the missing shard of the Dark Crystal which gives the Skesis their power and restore the balance of the universe.

It's a movie that has no actual humans in it. Everything is done with muppets and puppets.  It's interesting in that regard.  Some of the muppets hold up pretty well too (like the Skeksis and Mystics) while others.. not so much (Jen especially lol).  Having said that though.. it's a little hard to watch now-a-days. The plot is a little slow and some things in it are just aggravating.  But considering the time it was made (early 80's) and the ambition of the film it isn't a total disaster. It's worth watching at least once.

IMDB Rating: 7.2/10

My Rating: 5/10

I imagine this film would be absolutely amazing if I was 11 or 12 again.  As an adult some of the magic is lost.

~James~

#13 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:26 PM

I've been on a bit of a Marvel kick lately. It started when I rewatched Thor on TV then after that I went on to rewatch: Thor: The Dark World, The Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron and Captain America: Civil War. I'll probably be rewatching Dr. Strange soon (if not tonight then in a few days lol). I wasn't really watching them in any particular order, nor am I really planning to rewatch every single modern Marvel movie...but after watching the first Thor I felt like I needed to rewatch the second one, and then I got into an Avengers mood and wanted to see the whole team together (which of course made me rewatch Ultron and Civil War).  I kind of want to see Dr. Strange again simply because I've only seen it once (in IMAX, which was amazing).

All of them are solid 8~9/10 movies.  Even the second Thor movie, which I initially thought was just 'okay' has grown on me a little bit on a repeated viewing.  Age of Ultron is still pretty good but upon repeated viewings the cracks are starting to show. You can really tell that they cut things and the script might have been slightly rushed.  The movie has some pacing and plot issues that could have been resolved better. But as I've said before, even a "bad" Marvel movie is still miles ahead of just about anything else lol.

Then last night Bri and I rewatched Nightcrawler which still holds up extremely well.  Jake Gyllenhaal plays a really convincing psychopath and really brings this thriller together.  I have no idea what I rated it the first time I watched it but it's a good 8/10 for me now.

~James~

#14 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

So last Monday we went and saw Beauty and the Beast (2017) and last night we watched Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them (2016). 

First up.. Beauty and the Beast.

Disney's animated classic takes on a new form, with a widened mythology and an all-star cast. A young prince, imprisoned in the form of a beast, can be freed only by true love. What may be his only opportunity arrives when he meets Belle, the only human girl to ever visit the castle since it was enchanted.

If you've ever seen the Disney animated version of Beauty and the Beast then you already know what to expect.  This movie follows the animated version pretty closely though it does add a few new songs (though I've heard that they're from the stage show but I can't confirm it) and they changed a few plot points.  Some of the changes are a little odd but most of them were made to clear up certain plot holes from the animated version.  Everyone does a pretty good job in their parts though I still find it hard to believe Luke Evans as Gaston (he's too scrawny imo). Having said that, in the end it's Beauty and the Beast.  If you like the animated version you'll most likely like this version.

Freaking "Be Our Guest" won't get out of my head now...  :argh:

My Rating: 8/10

IMDB Rating: 7.8/10

And then last night we watched Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them.

Holding a mysterious leather suitcase in his hand, Newt Scamander, a young activist wizard from England, visits New York while he is on his way to Arizona. Inside his expanding suitcase hides a wide array of diverse, magical creatures that exist among us, ranging from tiny, twig-like ones, to majestic and humongous ones. It is the middle of the 20s and times are troubled since the already fragile equilibrium of secrecy between the unseen world of wizards and the ordinary or "No-Maj" people that the MACUSA Congress struggles to maintain, is at risk of being unsettled. In the meantime, the voices against wizardry keep growing with daily protests led by Mary Lou Barebone and fuelled by the increasing disasters ascribed to a dark wizard, Gellert Grindelwald.

This is the first Harry Potter world film that doesn't actually feature Harry Potter.   I think everyone knows how much I like the Harry Potter series but this movie was kind of hard for me to get into at first.  Maybe it's because I didn't read the book that this one was based on first, unlike the HP series where I had read the first 6 books before I ever saw any of the films, but it just didn't have the same (excuse the pun) magic as the HP films. 

Don't get me wrong, it was still a fairly decent popcorn movie but it just wasn't as charming as the films that follow the Boy that Lived.  The film suffers from some strange subplots that are going on along with the main plot of Newt trying to find all his creatures that were let out.  I wanted to see more about the actual creatures and less about the orphanage, for example (even though it all came together at the end).  Oh and the way the film ends (well, the way the events unfold after the climax battle) was sort of wtf plothole worthy to me.  I'd talk more about it but it would definitely spoil everything so I'll hold off for now.

But yeah.. if you like the Harry Potter universe and want to see more of that world, even though it takes place way before the HP series, check this film out.  Maybe one day I'll get around to reading the book to see if the film was made to follow it or if they just borrowed the name.  And oddly, despite how definitive the ending is in this film, they've announced that they're making a second one (and there will be 5 total).  I can't imagine how.

My rating: 6.5/10

IMDB rating: 7.5/10

~James~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users