36 replies to this topic

#31 ItsNotTheEd

ItsNotTheEd

Giant Robot Pilot

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

I have not seen the TV movie, but I have seen the Tim Curry movie, and the new movie, as well as read the book (about a third through my 2nd reading).  There were a ton of things different in the new movie, I'll try to spoil as little as possible, and cover up what I can.  

My biggest issue with the new movie is  the way they portrayed some of the children.  While everyone did fantastic in their role, whoever wrote them got some stuff seriously messed up.  Bill was pretty spot on, I was just hoping that with the millions of time they mention it in the book he would have let out one iconic, stutter-free, shout of "hi-ho silver, away" instead of just having an easter egg in the movie (his bike had silver made into the side of it).  In a way, it gave bill strength in the book, and it would have been nice to see them tie it into the movie.  They made Beverly into this punk-ish style rebellious girl, when in the book she was extremely quiet and shy also, her dad was not a rapist in the book like they hint at before she is kidnapped.  at least, not that I can remember .  Eddie was pretty spot on, but he talked a lot more in the movie than the book, but honestly I think that gives him more character.  He was kind of forgettable in the book.  But, skipping now to my biggest gripe, They combined Ben and Mike's characters into one person, Ben, and came up with some completely different character for Mike.  Mike was supposed to be the history nut that learns everything he can about the town of Derry and the strange presence there that makes children disappear because his dad tells him history about the town, and Mike has a general interest.  Also, HIS PARENTS DID NOT DIE IN A FIRE. They are both alive and well in the first half of the book, and Mike his not some uneducated farmer.  He does live on a farm, so they got that one particular thing right about Mike, but other than that, Mike is a stranger to me in this movie. Ben is not the new kid on the block, but his run-in with Henry Bowers was pretty accurate... at first.  It was supposed to be a lot longer, and starts unraveling Henry's character.  The only accurate thing about Ben was his obsession with Bev, and the poem he wrote.  I could go on about the characters, but I don't want to overload Iyou's website lol.

I would, however, like to touch on the fears that the children see when dealing with It.  The only one that's accurate is Eddie, but they don't give any background to it.  I understand that they have to cut things out due to time, but without background on some of the things they see, you almost have to have read the book to know what's going on.  Bev's fear was the 2nd closest, but it was not as extreme as the movie was. it was just a sink full of blood, with some splatters on the floor instead of an explosion over the entire bathroom but besides those two, nobody's initial run-ins with It are accurate at all.  Especially Ben and Mike.

As far as Pennywise goes, visually Tim Curry is closer to the book.  They actually compare him to Bozo in the book (good call, Iyou). The new movie fits the character better in every other aspect, though.  It was supposed to be this being that hates children and lives off their fear.  It was extremely creepy in the book, but at times could be a little silly, but just a little.  

After my initial dislike of how far the new movie strayed from the book, I really started to like the movie, and I'm actually thinking about seeing It again in theaters.

REBEL AGAINST THE IYOUBOUSHI!! Even though this forum is new, I still stand firmly by my beliefs! He is out to get us! OUT TO GET US ALL!!

#32 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,496 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:16 AM

Just finished watching Cult of Chucky (2017).

After accused of murdering her family, Nica is taken to an asylum and thinks that she's the cause of the deaths of her family. However, when grizzly deaths start to occur, she then realizes that Chucky, her allusion might not be make believe. She also finds out that the doll is slowly starting to possess anyone or anything to join a huge cult to kill off Chucky's victims, but things don't go to well in the asylum, including for Chucky's long lost friend "Andy Barcley" who tries to stop the cult from getting bigger while also trying to get past Chucky's wife, "Tiffany."

This movie.. wow. Okay, I don't even really know where to start with this one.  I guess first let me just say that Curse of Chucky (2013) was really enjoyable to me. It took the series back to its roots as opposed to Seed of Chucky (2004) which was just so ridiculous and over the top with cheese.  This movie, Cult, is somewhere between Curse and Seed on the silly meter. 

The film starts off well enough, with Andy Barcley returning (original actor returning to play him too, which is cool).  If you saw the after-credits scene from Curse then you'll already know what happened.  However it isn't long before the film switches to Nica where she's transferred to a more lenient facility.  Here the doctor trying to treat everyone brings in a Chucky doll and later Tiffany delivers a Chucky doll.. but what's this? It seems that BOTH are alive.  But how?  This is explained later and the explanation is just weird/silly/kind of takes away the whole point of Chucky trying to use the voodoo spell on Andy in the original.

While I don't want to spoil everything in the film I guess I'll just say that I kind of felt rather "eh" towards this film.  It wasn't the worst (Seed is still the worst of the series) but it definitely wasn't the best (the first is still the best lol). Chucky does deliver some lines that did make me laugh out loud but overall the movie has slow pacing and not as many good deaths as some of the previous entries in the franchise.   With the way it ended you can also bet that they're going to try to make at least one more.

IMDB Rating: 5.3/10

My Rating: 5.5/10

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#33 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:07 PM

Last night we went and saw Jigsaw (2017)

Bodies are turning up around the city, each having met a uniquely gruesome demise. As the investigation proceeds, evidence points to one suspect: John Kramer, the man known as Jigsaw, who has been dead for ten years.

It's been seven real life years since the last Saw movie and ten in-universe years since the events of the franchise took place.  I think everyone here already knows how I feel about the franchise but if you don't, or have forgotten, here's a small recap:  I like them.  I like them a lot.  Having said that, the first four are my favorite while five through seven were getting more and more ridiculous.  As for this one?  It's a breath of fresh air.  It's gone back to more simplistic traps and poses an interesting question:  is John Kramer really dead? 

If you watch the film you'll get your answer and I'll say that I honestly did not see the last twist coming. 

It isn't without flaws though.  Bri and I both had a "but wait, what about.."  or "how did.."  or "isn't that a plothole?" kind of questions after watching it, but overall I did enjoy it and it's definitely better than the last one that came before it.  If you like the Saw movies I'd definitely recommend you watch this one.   And I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they made another one to follow this one.

My rating: 7/10

IMDB Rating: 6.1/10

~James~

#34 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:17 PM

Last night Bri and I finally went and saw Thor: Ragndarok (2017).

It's going to be hard to talk about the film without spoilers so let me just say that I found it to be absolutely epic and loved nearly every second of it.  It has a ton of humor, especially with Thor (I guess he's been hanging around on Earth too much :XD:) but it also had a ton of action and lasting effects on the Marvel Universe (cinematic version, of course).  It was a near perfect movie, in my opinion.  There really was only one issue I had with it but it'd be sort of a spoiler to talk about.  So before I do that, let me just say that this and Guardians of the Galaxy are my two favorite MCU movies now and this is the best Thor movie they've made yet (and I liked all 3, despite people saying the first two weren't that good).

So yeah, like 9.9 rating for me.  IMDB says 8.2 which seems kinda low to me..but to each their own I guess.

As for the one part that I sort of had an issue with...   (spoilers, obviously; I highly recommend waiting to watch the movie first before reading any spoilers)

Spoiler

~James~

#35 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:59 AM

I've seen it too. Easily the best Thor movie by a mile. Right up there with both Guardians IMO as well. 

Posted Image Posted Image

#36 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:41 PM

Bri and I saw Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017).  It was part of my Christmas present lol..

Rey develops her newly discovered abilities with the guidance of Luke Skywalker, who is unsettled by the strength of her powers. Meanwhile, the Resistance prepares to do battle with the First Order.

Well, it's Star Wars but it's different than the others that came before it.  The Force Awakens was basically a reskinned version of A New Hope.  That one was super fun and very nostalgic and I saw it at least three times in theater plus who knows how many after it was released out of theaters.  The Last Jedi is an entirely different tone.  It isn't like a reskinned The Empire Strikes Back though there are some elements of ESB in it.  Likewise, there's even a few Return of the Jedi elements present in this one too. 

As for the plot itself.. well, there's two main threads going on.  The description that imdb has doesn't seem that accurate so let me just say this.  You have Rey who is on the planet with Luke.  She's trying to get him to return with her to save the last of the resistance against the First Order.  She isn't there to be trained (initially) and Luke wants nothing to do with her.  Meanwhile, The First Order has tracked down the resistance and is attacking with everything they have to wipe them out (the destruction of the Star-Killer Base hasn't slowed them down at all).  For pretty much the entire movie the resistance is just trying to survive as the order is relentless in their attacks.

There's other things that happen but I can't talk about them without giving major spoilers so I'll just say that it's worth seeing if you like Star Wars but don't expect to go into a movie that's pure crazy fun like TFA was.  Not to say that it didn't have fun parts--TLJ is full of humor and one-liners that SW is known for--but it really is an entirely different movie.  I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending yet either.  I'm curious to see where they take Episode 9 (and beyond, I guess).

IMDB Rating: 7.7/10

My Rating: 8/10

~James~

#37 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:13 AM

Nice, I'm glad you liked it. I've seen a lot of reviews for it and they're all over the place, so its good to see someone I know's opinion on it since it's more likely to line up with mine. 

I'll have no regrets on my Pre-Order now. 

Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users