So I Heard You Like to Die A Lot [Darksouls/Bloodborne/Nioh]

demon souls dark souls nioh difficulty why cant i kill this boss?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,074 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:17 PM

The world has been taken by storm by a series of very difficult games lately.  This family of games, often referred to as "souls" or "souls-clones" offers extreme challenge, little hand-holding, and crazy bosses/areas.  Since we don't have a topic to talk about any of these games I thought I'd just make a more general topic dedicated to the various games.

There's a rather large number of games that follow the style but I'm just going to list a few here.  Feel free to talk about any of the clones or main family of this kind of game in this topic. 

DEMON'S SOULS

The first game of this kind of franchise, Demon's Souls came out for PS3 in 2009. It is critically acclaimed and holds an 89/100 on Metacritic.

DARK SOULS

A spiritual successor to Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 came out in 2011 for PS3, Xbox 360, and later in 2012 for PC.  It holds an 85/100 for the PC version but an 89/100 for the console versions on Metacritic.

DARK SOULS II

Although it's set in the same universe as Dark Souls 1 there's no other connection to the that game.  It came out in 2014 and is available on just about everything except the Wii and Wii U.  91/100 from Metacritic. 

DARK SOULS III

The most recent of the Souls series, it came out in 2016, and is available for the PC, PS4 and Xbox One. It's rated 89/100 for PC and PS4 and 87/100 for Xbone.

BLOODBORNE

After the success of the first two Souls games FromSoftware decided to create a Souls-like game but be in a totally different setting.  This game is PS4 exclusive, much to the dismay of anyone who doesn't own a ps4 and loves this kind of game.  It came out in 2015 and is often regarded as being the best of this style of game.  92/100 from Metacritic.

NIOH

The most recent of all the entries in this opening post, Nioh takes place in the Sengoku era of Japan (early 1600s) and stars a fictionized version of William Adams on his quest to rid Japan of Yokai (demons) and reclaim something he has lost. This game came out this month, Feb 2017, and is already being nominated for best game of the year.  It is PS4 exclusive, unfortunately. Unlike the Souls series this game offers a Diablo-like drop system where you can find better and more rare pieces of equipment as you progress.  It also features revenants--fallen players who can be fought to obtain a piece of gear they had on them when they died.  Despite the claims that it's the best game of the year, it holds an 87/100 at Metacritic right now.

LET IT DIE

Suda51's take on the franchise is a bit different from all the rest.  It is PS4 exclusive and was released in 2016.  The objective of this game is to climb a mysterious tower full of weird crazy maniacs.  The neat thing about this game is if you die and you don't pay to revive your character it will then go on to actively attack other players who are playing the game all across the world.  I also feel like this game is a bit easier than the typical Souls games but it still offers quite a large challenge.  It has the lowest score of all the games I've listed, ranking in at 72/100 on Metacritic.

Like I said, there's tons and tons of other games that I could list here that are in this style but these are a few that we can talk about here.

(I'll probably come back and flesh out each entry above a little more but running low on time and wanted to get this topic done lol)

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,074 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:23 PM

The only game of this style that I really have any experience with is Let It Die.  I've played a few hours of that one and recorded most of my experience with that game.  Here's the first attempt at it, i.e. I started recording as soon as the game started:

And here's my second attempt at it, where I made it to the first mid-boss only to hilariously push the wrong buttons and die instead of killing it (spoilers!):

A part of me desperately wants to try Nioh but the demo is long gone and $60 is really steep for a game that I might end up throwing across the room after 5 minutes of playing with it.  They did offer a beta demo but it was only available for a very limited amount of time and by the time I finally got it, installed it, got home from work and tried it.. I had less than two hours to give it a go and I was tired (from working) and distracted (due to things going on here at the house).  As a result.. I barely really comprehended what was going on, got my butt handed to me over and over and had no idea what I was doing.  After watching some people's Let's Plays (of the stage the demo was set in) I think I understand it a lot more and would fare a bit better...but, again, I'd like to try it before I throw that kind of cash away.  I really wish they would just offer another demo but I doubt they ever will lol.

Another part of me wants to try to get into the Souls series, maybe the first one since it's older (and likely cheaper) but I'm not really sure.  It might be funny to see how many times I die though.

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users