15 replies to this topic

#1 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:51 AM

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has been in full effect since 2008, bringing many of Marvel's most popular characters to the silver screen.  This topic can be used to talk about the current and upcoming films, and reviews/discussing rewatches. 

As of December 9, 2017, there are 17 films released that fall into this shared universe with 7 more on their way.

List of films in order by RELEASE

Spoiler

List of films in order by TIMELINE

Spoiler

Upcoming Films

Spoiler

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#2 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:04 AM

I think I'm going to settle in and try to rewatch all of the current MCU films in the timeline order (I've only ever watched them in release order) and try to talk about each one.  There's some (like Winter Soldier) I've only ever seen one time, and others I've seen a million times (like GotG) but I enjoy them all so I wouldn't mind watching them again lol.

I think instead of just coming back and posting reviews/a score (since I've already done that with most of them in the other movie topic) I think I'll try to keep a list of various thoughts/questions/comments that come to mind while watching the films and post all of that in here.  I might even use time codes so anyone else watching at home will be able to see what I'm referring to.  If I do end up doing that, time will start when you hit play on the menu.

Anyway, with all that said.. Captain America: The First Avenger is first up to bat.  The first time around I found a bulk of this one to be kind of slow and a wee bit boring.  Let's see how it holds up in a new viewing.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#3 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:46 AM

Ooo I might do this if I get time. I haven't watched the first cap more than a few times. (I think exactly 3.) But it wasn't bad. Look for the original Human Torch cameo! 

Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

Today I decided to start this.  I'm going to go in chronological order rather than release order (I think I've already said that but it bares repeating).  So with that in mind, today was CAPTAIN AMERCA: THE FIRST AVENGER

Plot: World War 2 is underway and Steve Rogers is a scrawny kid from Brooklyn who just wants to join the military.  Due to his medical conditions and small stature he's denied time and time again until a scientist who is developing a super serum happens to see him and decides to take a chance.  Steve is transformed into Captain America and joins the war efforts.  Meanwhile a Hydra scientist discovers an ancient power source that will help his plans of world domination.

This movie was the end of phase 1 but chronologically takes place first.  The first time I saw it I thought the movie had a lot of luls in it where it seemed like the pacing was a little off. However, upon rewatching it now, years later, it is actually better than I remember. It seems like it's faster paced than I remember.  It has definitely aged well and I'd highly recommend rewatching it again.

With that said, Captain America is still probably my least favorite of the heroes/avengers.  So to summarize it: good movie, not so great super hero (in my opinion). 

As I said in the opening post, I actually wrote down some various thoughts I had and the time codes when it happened.  Feel free to read or just skip it. lol  I'll put them behind a spoiler.

Spoiler

Next up is one of my favorites of the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe: IRON MAN.  The movie that started it all and launched RDJ's career back into the spotlight.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#5 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:01 AM

So someone calculated that if you watch one Marvel movie a week you'll get done right as the next Avengers movie comes out.  So I'll probably start that in January with Bri (we'll rewatch Captain America even though I already watched it fairly recently lol).  Anyone up for some Marvel Mondays?  (can't stream it but we can all agree to watch a movie and then talk about it)

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#6 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:54 AM

I'm up for it, a work friend suggested the same thing actually. 

#7 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:40 PM

Awesome. I plan to watch them in timeline order (like I originally planned on this topic) instead of release order lol.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#8 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

So it looks like Disney went ahead and bought out Fox, guess we'll be seeing the X-Men pop up in the MCU soon. 

#9 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:21 AM

Well, last week we rewatched Captain America: The First Avenger which I think I already said more than enough on and this week we watched Iron Man, the one that started it all.

Considering that Iron Man turns 10 this year in May, it still holds up very, very well.  The special effects are still amazing and it looks very realistic (possibly the most realistic of all the Marvel films).  The plot is still awesome and it just grips you from the start (starting with ACDC is never a bad thing).  Unlike Captain America, I don't think there's any real "lulls" in the plot of this one. 

I didn't do a time stamp with a bunch of random thoughts I had through the movie.  To be honest, I didn't have that many.  I enjoy the movie so much that I don't have to stop and question anything or try to think about other things while I'm watching it.  It's just a really good movie.  If the MCU hadn't taken off like it did, I still think that Iron Man would hold up.  We're just lucky that it was as good as it is though, since that really did start this whole shebang.

Robert Downy Jr is perfect for Tony Stark and I can't imagine any other actor playing him (did you know Nic Cage went for that role?  Dear lord)

The only thing I have to say that I don't like much now is Rhody.  The current actor plays him so much better and it's jarring to see the old Rhody.  But beyond that, it's practically a 10/10 movie.  Rewatch it if it's been a while.  I think you'll be surprised at how it holds up.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#10 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:02 AM

Dear god.. Nic Cage as Tony Stark would have tanked the whole MCU. It's bad enough he ruined Ghost Rider. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: marvel, movies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users