14 replies to this topic

#1 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:27 PM

Another year, another new topic.  Welcome to the 2018 movie thread.  Talk about the movies you've seen here. 

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:26 PM

Yesterday was the first Marvel Monday of the year!  Bri and I have decided to rewatch all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films in preparation for Avengers: Infinity War.  Someone figured out if you watch 1 a week it will end right as IW comes out.  We also decided we're going to watch them in chronological order rather than theatrical order.  I already made a thread about it a while back, so you can click here if you don't already know/want to know more.

Anyway, with that said.. last night we watched Captain America: The First Avenger (2011).   It holds up better on the second+ rewatch, in my opinion.  But it's pretty hard not to compare this movie with Wonder Woman now.  It's almost like Wonder Woman copied so much stuff out of CA.   Still, I already wrote about this one at length (along with random thoughts I had while watching) in the other thread so I'd say go read what I wrote there if you care.

After that we watched a bunch of musicals:  Mamma Mia! (2008), Chicago (2002) and Rock of Ages (2012)

Mamma Mia! is a silly musical that is basically just a way to sing a ton of ABBA songs.  The plot is loosely an episode of Maury where Sophie wants to find out which of three guys are her dad so she invites them all to her wedding without her mom knowing.  Of course when her mom sees them she freaks out and immediately thinks they're there to ruin Sophie's wedding.  It's a bunch of silliness and although I like the musical well enough (just because it's comedic and light hearted and, well, I do like ABBA... don't judge..) the ending still annoys me.  Spoiler alert.. you never find out which guy is Sophie's dad .   Later this year they're releasing a Mamma Mia! 2, which.. who knows what's that's going to be like.  This one is actually based on a real stage show while the second film is just a sequel to the film.  So we'll see how that is.

Chicago is still one of my favorite all-time musicals. The jazz and style of both the film and the songs are great.  I think, though, that I like it so much not only because of the catchy songs (Cell Block Tango or They Both Reached for the Gun, anyone?) but because it really does kind of portray an accurate picture of the media and justice system.  And if you sit back and think I'm wrong, look at how "trials of the century" like OJ Simpson are portrayed and how quickly they're forgotten when a new big murder/incident happens.  Not much has changed since the 20's.  It's a sad statement of the country, for sure.   

Then finally we wrapped up our movie night with Rock of Ages which, out of three, has the best music in a musical ever (for somewhat obvious reasons I guess).  At its core, it's a love story, but it's surrounded with so much rock n' roll, energy and 80's that it's just one awesome film that will have you headbanging along (provided you like 80's rock, of course).   I really love how they were able to match up the songs.  I don't know if they just changed the keys of the songs or what, but a lot of them flow so well into each other that it's almost like the two songs are literally one.  It's just great.  It had also been a while since I had watched this one.   Out of the three, I'd recommend this one the most.

So yeah.. that's it for the first day of the new year lol.

~James~

#3 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:11 AM

Last night we went and saw Insidious: The Last Key (2018), aka Insidious 4. lol

Parapsychologist Dr. Elise Rainier faces her most fearsome and personal haunting yet - in her own family home.

This movie takes place shortly after the end of Insidious: Chapter 3.  Having helped Quinn and recovered her confidence in her abilities, Elise begins dreaming about her childhood with her abusive father.  Not long after she receives a phone call from the guy who's living in her old childhood home who is begging her for help to stop the spiritual/demonic activity that is occurring in the home. Reluctant at first, she eventually agrees to do it and must come face to face with the spirits that haunted her as a kid..

Since this movie takes place before Insidious 1 you already know that Elise survives.  In fact, I wouldn't say it's a huge spoiler to mention that this film ends the night before she appears in Insidious 1.  Having said that, I found it to be quite enjoyable.  Granted, I really liked Chapter 3 as well and if you didn't you probably won't like The Last Key.  It's kind of more of the same, although the focus is really heavy on Elise and her backstory.   There are some pretty decent jump scares though, one of which got Bri so good that she literally screamed.  I thought that was pretty funny and worth the price of admission.

Overall though, it's an Insidious movie.  It doesn't really do anything groundbreaking.  You have the same elements that are in the other movies: The Further, demons, ghost hunting, possessions, corny jokes by Tucker and Specs, and Elise.

I kind of hope that if they DO make another one (not guaranteed this time, as I don't think it's doing that well right now--it's getting beat in the box office by the new Jumanji of all things) it'll take place after where Insidious 2 ended and not try to cram any more of Elise's backstory.  I think between #3 and this one we've seen all we need to know of Elise.

IMDB Rating: 6.0/10

My Rating: 7/10

~James~

#4 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:49 PM

Just posting this to say that our "dollar theater" (well, $2 theater) closed within the last few days.  :\   I guess that means that I won't be seeing half the movies that I see in a calendar year.  The regular theater is really too expensive to go for movies that you're not 100% sure of. 

It's kind of sad news because this theater has been here since 1976.  Lots of comments on the news article about it and no one is happy.  lol

Anyway, not really a movie review or anything.. just wanted to share this news so that people won't be surprised if I don't post too much in here for a while.

~James~

#5 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:39 PM

Sooooo..... decided to finally watch John Wick (2014) today.  I was going to watch it tomorrow but found myself having a little more free time than anticipated so decided to just go ahead and do it today lol.

With the untimely death of his beloved wife still bitter in his mouth, John Wick, the expert former assassin, receives one final gift from her--a precious keepsake to help John find a new meaning in life now that she is gone. But when the arrogant Russian mob prince, Iosef Tarasov, and his men pay Wick a rather unwelcome visit to rob him of his prized 1969 Mustang and his wife's present, the legendary hitman will be forced to unearth his meticulously concealed identity. Blind with revenge, John will immediately unleash a carefully orchestrated maelstrom of destruction against the sophisticated kingpin, Viggo Tarasov, and his family, who are fully aware of his lethal capacity. Now, only blood can quench the boogeyman's thirst for retribution.

Oh boy.  How to even talk about this one?

So back in 2014 when this movie came out I worked with a guy who went and saw it on opening weekend.  He reported back that it was one of the best movies he had ever seen.  A few months later this guy quit and joined the local police force.  Everyone I talked to who had seen this film told me that it was one of Keanu's best works and was just an amazing film.  That got me really, really interested in it and I actually really wanted to see it.  However, due to life circumstances and whatnot, I never did.  It's four years later and the other night it was on a cable TV channel.  I saw a minute or two of it when it was on but since it was sort of in the middle I didn't bother to watch it then, opting instead to watch it today from the beginning (and uncensored, of course).

I don't know if I'm just getting older or what, but the insane amount of violence in this movie really kind of put me off of it.  That's crazy, right?  I know four years ago I would've walked out of this film with the same feelings and comments as the police-force ex-coworker of mine.  I know four years ago I would've loved it.. but today?  I mean, okay,  the action sequences are pretty good--I'll give you that--and the fight choreography is realistic and pretty easy to follow (no super shaky cam that a lot of films try to do when the fighting starts) but good lord.  There's over 100 people killed in this film and you see each one.  It's not like a movie where "millions die" but it happens off screen or all at once with a bomb or something, you basically see John Wick go Rambo and kill people left, right and center.  And that's practically the whole film. 

Like I said, maybe it's just because I'm getting older, but I'm finding stuff like that harder to really enjoy.  The same goes for gore and horror as well.  Even Jigsaw, which I found pretty good last November (I liked the twist ending), I feel like is the limit of what I could really enjoy these days.  Jigsaw had less than some of the previous Saws, mind you, (some of the gore was really toned down in that) and I used to really enjoy those older Saws as well. 

So in summary...  the film is really, really violent.  There's a lot of good action, but the body count is so high that it's kind of hard to really enjoy lol.  At least that's for me.  Your mileage may very.   I feel like I could go into a little more about this film..but eh.

As it stands, I don't know if I'll check out John Wick 2 or not.  If it's just more of the same I don't know if I really need to. 

I won't give a rating for it.  I think that's unfair.  I'm sure four years ago I would've given this a rating somewhere between 7 and 8 but right now it's hard for me to do so.   IMDB says it's 7.3 though lol.  Like I said before, loads of people loved this film and I seriously heard non-stop for months straight about how great it was.

Anyway..  I find that aside from the Marvel movies that I'm rewatching before Infinity War, I haven't really been watching many films as of late.  Not sure what's wrong with me..but there you go.

~James~

#6 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:11 PM

Last night we had a mini movie marathon and watched Annabelle: Creation (2017), then rewatched both Phantom of the Opera (2004) and Sherlock Holmes (2009).

First up.. the new one.  Annabelle: Creation.

The manufacturer of dolls Samuel Mullins is a happy family man with his wife Esther and their daughter Bee, who dies hit by a car. Twelve years later, Samuel welcomes a group of orphan girls and a nun from a closed orphanage at home. He tells that only a closed room (that belonged to Bee) and Esther's room would be off limits for the girls. The crippled girl Janice sneaks in Bee's room during the night and sees a doll inside a closet. She plays in the room and soon she is haunted by an evil force. What has Janice unleashed in Bee's room?

The first Annabelle movie was a bit of a snooze fest for the vast majority of it.  This one...  well, it does it a little better but it's still a slow burn.  There are some neat scenes in it but I didn't find it all that scary (though do I ever?).  The ending leads directly to a scene from the first Annabelle movie though which was kind of neat.

My rating: 6.2/10

IMDB Rating: 6.6/10

(by comparison the first Annabelle got a 5.4 on IMDB; I think I gave it a 6/10 back in the day but I'd probably give it a 5.5 today if I were to rate it again).

Then we decided to rewatch two movies.

Phantom of the Opera

A young soprano becomes the obsession of a disfigured musical genius who lives beneath the Paris Opéra House. He kidnaps the soprano and forces the owners of the play to keep her as the lead role of the play

It's a classic broadway show that I think everyone kind of knows about (even if they've never actually seen the show or movie).  Some of the music is really catchy (and some of it is STILL stuck in my head).  There's a lot of things I see in this movie that make me go "wait, what?" though.    For example, the Phantom is more or less blackmailing the opera house owners for 20,000 francs a month (among other things).  How much is that in today's money?  Best estimates I can find is somewhere between $20,000 to $46,000.  A MONTH.   WTF is he spending it on?  Candles??  Where is he keeping it!? 

Anyway, yeah.. I've seen this one before and it still holds up.  Who would have thought that Gerard Butler could sing?  Not only that, but Raoul is played by Patrick Wilson who I recognize now more for Insidious and The Conjuring series.  That one blew my mind.

My rating: 7/10

IMDB rating: 7.3/10

Finally... wanted to go back and rewatch the first Sherlock Holmes movie starring RDJ.  And we may go back and watch the second one at some point, we simply ran out of time last night.

After finally catching serial killer and occult "sorcerer" Lord Blackwood, legendary sleuth Sherlock Holmes and his assistant Dr. Watson can close yet another successful case. But when Blackwood mysteriously returns from the grave and resumes his killing spree, Holmes must take up the hunt once again. Contending with his partner's new fiancée and the dimwitted head of Scotland Yard, the dauntless detective must unravel the clues that will lead him into a twisted web of murder, deceit, and black magic - and the deadly embrace of temptress Irene Adler.

Let me start off by saying that I still enjoy this film. I love the setting (that Victorian London backdrop is so awesome). I still think Jude Law does an amazing Watson and RDJ does a pretty decent job at playing a very eccentric Holmes..  However, my complaint with this film is still the same as it was when I first saw it.

The mystery is whether or not Lord Blackwood really rose from the dead and if it's supernatural. It's not really possible for us, the audience, to really play along with at home (as opposed to, say, a Poirot story where someone dies and the clues are mentioned/shown, thus letting the audience be detectives along with them). A really good mystery should be something that the audience can play along with at home but need the detective, Holmes in this case, to always be one step ahead of the rest. And while the film does have very, very subtle clues, it isn't really enough for me (most of them are on screen for less than a few seconds).

Of course once you already see the ending the mystery is gone and you know the who/how/why of it all, but I still think the complaint holds.

Anyway, it's very action-filled and is just a fun movie.

My Rating: 7.5/10

IMDB rating: 7.6/10

~James~

#7 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:35 AM

It's crazy how few films I've watched this year. I never really realized how much I relied on seeing films at the $2 theater until it shut down. Lulz.

With that said, last night we did go and see Black Panther (2018).

T'Challa, the King of Wakanda, rises to the throne in the isolated, technologically advanced African nation, but his claim is challenged by a vengeful outsider who was a childhood victim of T'Challa's father's mistake.

So the film takes place a week after Captain America: Civil War and starts with the Black Panther on a mission before he is officially crowned king of Wakanda, a super high tech nation that is disguised as a 3rd world country. The film then picks up when Klaue, a smuggler that we saw before in Age of Ultron (he's the one Ultron chopped the arm off of) is discovered by the Wakandans and the roller coaster of the film really starts.

I'm not really able to reveal any more of the plot without spoilers so I'll just say that the film is a bit different from the typical Marvel film. It's almost a spy thriller mixed in with all the action that you've come to expect and love from Marvel. Bri adds that the main plot is very Lion King esque too. I'd definitely recommend watching it though.

IMDB Rating: 7.7/10
My Rating: 8/10
~James~

#8 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

Well... last night we went and saw Avengers: Infinity War (2018).

As the Avengers and their allies have continued to protect the world from threats too large for any one hero to handle, a new danger has emerged from the cosmic shadows: Thanos. A despot of intergalactic infamy, his goal is to collect all six Infinity Stones, artifacts of unimaginable power, and use them to inflict his twisted will on all of reality. Everything the Avengers have fought for has led up to this moment - the fate of Earth and existence itself has never been more uncertain.

All I can really say is just..wow.  Everything you'd expect and more.  And the ending.. oh man.  That ending.    It's going to be a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG wait til the next Avengers movie.

I really don't want to say more or spoil anything.  If you like the MCU at all I'd say go see it.  It's seriously the climax of 18 movies and ten years worth of stories.   And I'm already trying to figure out when I could go see it again lol (though it'll probably be a bit of time).

My rating: 9/10

IMDB Rating: 9/10

~James~

#9 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:05 AM

Last night we rented Winchester (2018).

Inspired by true events. On an isolated stretch of land 50 miles outside of San Francisco sits the most haunted house in the world. Built by Sarah Winchester, (Academy Award®-winner Helen Mirren) heiress to the Winchester fortune, it is a house that knows no end. Constructed in an incessant twenty-four hour a day, seven day a week mania for decades, it stands seven stories tall and contains hundreds of rooms. To the outsider it looks like a monstrous monument to a disturbed woman's madness. But Sarah is not building for herself, for her niece (Sarah Snook) or for the brilliant Doctor Eric Price (Jason Clarke) whom she has summoned to the house. She is building a prison, an asylum for hundreds of vengeful ghosts, and the most terrifying among them have a score to settle with the Winchesters.

When we originally saw the previews for this Bri got really excited and wanted to see it.  Like the description says, it's inspired by true events.  There really was a Winchester Mansion that had seemingly endless rooms that led nowhere and strange twisty passageways.  The house can actually be toured if you visit it and one day I'd love to do that (though seeing as how it's out in California and we don't know anyone who lives out there it seems unlikely lol).  With that said....

I did fall asleep watching this film.  I don't really know if it's the film's fault though as we started watching it pretty late (around 11 pm) and I haven't been sleeping much/well the past few nights (so I was exhausted).  I saw maybe 75% of the film though before I finally passed out somewhere in the middle and I woke up for the end.  Despite saying that, I liked the plot of the film and I found the characters interesting..but I don't think it's spooky at all.  I almost want to compare it to the first The Woman in Black in that the film really focuses a lot on the atmosphere and has the occasional jump scare.  However, towards the end there are things happening (a lot more than TWIB) so I don't know.  It felt very predictable though, at least the latter part of the film that I actually saw.

Maybe I just need to watch it again and actually stay awake this time.  :XD:

IMDB rating: 5.4

I don't think it's really fair for me to rate a movie that I didn't stay awake all the way through..  However I'll say that the previews really made the film look better than it actually was.  So while I didn't think the film was really bad, it wasn't as good as I was expecting either.

~James~

#10 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:47 PM

So last night we went and watched Avengers: Infinity War (2018) again lol.  This time, since we had already seen it, we noticed smaller details that we totally missed last time.   My feelings towards the movie haven't changed though.  It's awesome lol.

Then we came home and while we were doing laundry we decided to try and watch Black Sabbath (1963). 

A trio of atmospheric horror tales about: A woman terrorized in her apartment by phone calls from an escaped prisoner from her past; a Russian count in the early 1800s who stumbles upon a family in the countryside trying to destroy a particularly vicious line of vampires; and a 1900-era nurse who makes a fateful decision while preparing the corpse of one of her patients - an elderly medium who died during a seance.

A few things to note... first, yes the band Black Sabbath actually took their name FROM THIS FILM.  As to why on earth we were watching this old movie, Bri had remembered a scene from one of the stories within it and back when she saw it (over 20 years ago) it spooked her.  Curious about it, I found where it came from (as she had forgotten and originally thought it was from a Twilight Zone episode) and saw that we could watch the movie for free on Tubi via the Roku.

Now you read that the band took their name from the film, that means the film was awesome right?  Uhh.. yeah.  About that.  Not so much.  I wouldn't say it's bad per se... it's just.. slow.  Here in 2018 we're used to horror being very busy.  I mean we have jump scares, we have the scary chords, we have lots of gore and blood, right?  In the 60's it was much more subtle.  A lot of stuff was implied, rather than shown.   Plus the stories themselves didn't lend to much fast paced action anyway.  I mean, the fist story (and the one Bri remembered the scene from) was about a nurse who stole a ring from a dead woman only to go home and get haunted by the woman's ghost..  The second was mostly just a phone ringing and a guy on the other line saying stuff as the girl freaks out. 

I'll be honest, I fell asleep during the third story (which is the longest one of the bunch, and is apparently the main feature).  By the time that story started it was already 3 am and I was exhausted.  I would like to finish it though just so that I can say that I saw all three stories.

Having said all that.. if you like the movies that have movies within movies, stick to something like Creepshow (1982) as the stories are a lot better.

IMDB Rating: 7.2/10

My rating so far: 5/10

BTW if you're curious what, exactly, Bri remembered about the first story.. this image is exactly what she remembered and told me about and was why I wanted to look it up so bad lol.

Spoiler

~James~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users