16 replies to this topic

#1 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:36 PM

Welcome to 2018! 2017 was actually a pretty good year for gaming.  Here's hoping that 2018 will be just as good, if not better. 

Feel free to use this topic to talk about the games you're playing.

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:16 PM

Finally got a chance to try Nioh

So the game is Dark Souls meets Onimusha, in a nutshell.  I had tried Bloodborne before, which was really first my Souls-like experience, unless you count Let It Die (the free PS4 game) which.. is sort of a DS clone but has tons of Suda elements in it. 

The prologue starts you off in the Tower of London as a prisoner.  Your objective is to, obviously, break out.  The prologue is eh at really teaching you the fundamentals of the game since when the main character goes to Japan you have a ton more things to learn (stances, ki pulse, etc--all of this is not in the prologue) but it's fairly good at teaching you that you need to learn how to dodge and block at the right times to not get utterly annihilated.  It took me around an hour to beat the prologue.  The first 30 minutes went smoothly, no deaths, but at some point you start encountering knights that are in full plate and those can take a lot of hits and dish out some serious punishment.  I got stuck on those for quite a while but then murdered the first boss.. so.. go figure.

Then the real game begins. You go to Japan to stop the antagonist.  Here's where you get to pick which two weapons you start with a proficiency in, learn how to ki-pulse, can change stances, fight revanants, gain new skills and level up.  Unfortunately the armor and weapons you picked up in England do not carry over, at least not yet (after you beat the first Japan level you can get access to them again, or so I saw when I was watching someone else play before I bought the game).

I spent an hour just trying to farm some of the early enemies to try and level up a bit.  Even though I never cleared the demo (I barely even touched the demo) I was able to get some of the "Boons" (which you can access via the shrine).  The boons they gave me was a set of better armor...but it's heavy armor and if you don't have high enough of a weight limit to equip it all right out the gate.  This means that if you do equip it all you basically have no stamina (meaning 1 swing and you're defenseless).  To raise your weight limit you have to level up, so I was grinding some amrita (the currency) for about an hour and got to level 5, I think.  I can equip most of the armor now (think there's only 1 piece I can't) which seems to help a lot.

Anyway, as for the actual game.. so far I'm enjoying it.  I'm definitely enjoying it a lot more than Bloodborne. Even though both games are incredibly difficult, I feel like Nioh is a little more forgiving.  It doesn't immediately throw a literal mob of bad guys at you right out the gate like BB does.  Yeah, I did get stuck on the plate knights for a little bit, but I did eventually beat them all (only to find out I could have avoided them as they were only guarding a treasure chest lol).  To this date I've still not been able to beat that mob in Bloodborne.. 

Once you get to Japan the game is pretty nice looking.  The Tower of London is very dark and drab.  Japan, at least the first stage I'm in, is very colorful (there's trees, camp fires, water, etc).

Though I'm not that far into the game proper so my opinions may change as I play..but so far I really am enjoying it.  I should have streamed it.  Maybe next time (we'll see).

~James~

#3 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

Dead convinced me to purchase Kickbeat on PSN.  I did so because it was super cheap, it was made by Zen Studios (who did an amazing job with the pinball game) and because he said it easier than Gitaroo Man.  Yesterday I tried it.

I did the tutorial just fine, no issues. Then I tried the actual game on normal.  I beat level 1 without losing too much life but level 2 is already insane.  I find this game way harder than Gitaroo Man.  I was able to beat GM on normal (and even the first stage on hard) yet I can't clear level 2 on Kickbeat.  So.. uhh...???  Maybe I just suck.  I'm kinda glad that the game was super cheap though.  If I had paid more I probably would've been mad lol.

Beyond that... I tried Dissidia Final Fantasy NT since it's currently undergoing an open beta (it runs for another week, I believe).  I'm not sure how I feel about that game.  At the time the beta wasn't done downloading all the data so the only mode I had access to was the tutorial.  There's an example battle in the tutorial mode that I did and it took me 3 tries to clear it.  In that time I had a chance to try a few different characters and overall... I didn't really have that much fun.   I found the Moogle voice actor to be extremely annoying (Kupo!), I found the camera to be really, really bad (almost impossible to lock onto anything behind you and hard to get the camera to turn around so that you can see stuff behind you), the control scheme seems confusing and the HUD isn't easy to understand.

Maybe it's just because this is my first Dissidia game or maybe because it's 3 vs 3, or perhaps it's just because I suck at games in general these days, but I just wasn't having fun with it.  And that's a shame.  When they announced Dissidia NT last year I got excited.  In fact, it's sitting in one of my wishlists on Amazon (which I use to keep an eye on prices, not for people to actually go get me stuff lol).  But if I do pick this game up it's going to be a long ways into the future and it'll be super cheap.

I may give it one more chance since the beta's data has fully downloaded and I might be able to access a normal battle (rather than the weird tutorial battle mode).  I don't expect my opinions to change much though, just based on what I've seen and tried already.

That's about all I've tried to play.  I still want to work on NiOh but I just haven't had much interest in playing much of anything as of late except DB FighterZ which of course isn't out yet.  The early access beta is currently underway but because I didn't pre-order on PSN I can't join that.  The open beta is tomorrow through the end of Monday but I work both days so my chances of playing are slim (if I do get to play it'll probably be for an hour or two on Monday and that's a huge if).

Anyway.. that's about all for me.

~James~

#4 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:00 AM

Lol maybe I think Kickbeat is easier than Gitaroo because I've played Gitaroo and beaten it on master mode. Then again, I can't touch this game on its hardest setting, lol, although I've beaten it on the other two. 

Yeah it was $1.50, give it another chance sometime, it's really not too bad. 

Sad to hear on DIssidia, I really loved the one on PSP back in the day, to the point where I max leveled all the characters. I'm kinda glad I didn't preorder this now. 

and yay Fighter Z is open through monday, hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out now since I'm off Monday! I'll definitely stream it and some Kickbeat in the next few days. 

Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:26 AM

You probably shouldn't stream Kickbeat due to the licensed music. Youtube might hit you with copyright violations and potentially remove your channel if you do. :/
~James~

#6 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

So Nioh went from "this is easier than Bloodborne, hard but doable" to "zomg wtf?" really, really fast.   I cannot make it to the second shrine in the first Japan stage.  I thought I was going to make it, was doing fairly well actually, but then I came to a part where there's 4 guys against you at the same time.  I don't have a bow or anything that I can use to snipe so.. uhh...?  I have no idea how to get past that as I just got murdered.

Even with the better armor that the "Boons" box gave me (for having tried the demo that one time), enemies still do a ridiculous amount of damage to me.  Meanwhile it seems like my attacks do less than half of what they do to me.  And it seems like they have more HP than I do.  One enemy can take 3-5 hits to kill while it seems like if they hit me even twice I'm dead.

I guess my only option is to GIT GUUD or griiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind amrita on the first few enemies that I know I can win against until I can level up more and get more life/strength/stamina.   It's taking a long time to level up now though (need 3k now and the first enemy drops... like.. 70).

~James~

#7 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:43 PM

DB FIGHTERZ!!!!!!!!! that is all. 

#8 Smz

Smz

Powerful GM

• Administrators
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:33 AM

Think I'll post this here.

So uh, I decided to get a Switch in advance for some games like Bayonetta 3, due to how Nintendo barely keeps stuff in stock anymore. Yay?

However, I'm kind of annoyed already. Seems like Nintendo quality is no longer a thing for consoles now. Wireless only works when RIGHT NEXT to the router, and even then it's iffy. Joy cons won't work wireless either. lol Well, I don't care about those controllers since I don't plan on doing motion stuff, at all. So now got an USB ethernet adaptor and pro controller on order. lol

Guess that's it. Wonder what other lulz will happen next with this thing. lol

Posted Image

#9 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:35 PM

Eeesh, Glad we haven't got one yet then. Kids have been pestering us to get one, too. Guess we'll hold out for the inevitable redo console when it comes out in a year or two. 

#10 Smz

Smz

Powerful GM

• Administrators
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:24 PM

Yeah, I'd definitely would wait to see if they redo the console before getting it. I don't understand how they have the worst wi-fi on the Switch when they've had it since the first DS and had no issues until now. I've had no problems with anything previous on wi-fi. It's the first time I'm disappointed in Nintendo hardware. lol Hopefully they improve upon it.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users