Southern Vampire Mysteries (Sookie Stackhouse)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

Since there's so many books of this series I thought I'd just create one thread for them. I'm pretty sure it's only Kia and myself who have read any of these, but perhaps some others will pick them up and comment (hey, I can dream).

I've just finished book one..

Responsible for the True Blood series on HBO, Dead Until Dark is a fast-paced book that has a lot of action, drama and memorable characters. It's amazing to me that Twilight became the worldwide sensation that it did when this book just reads way better and is far more interesting. Sookie is not a mary sue and has an actual personality with human feelings. You can relate to her struggle of being unique, especially as she becomes more entwined with the creatures of the night. Speaking of, the vampires are *gasp* actually vampires. No sparkles here. They're both mesmerizing and terrifying all at the same time.

The over-arcing plot of a murderer killing "fang bangers" (as they're called) is one of interest as well though not as complex as, say, a Poirot mystery. Chances are if you pay real close attention you will figure out who did it. But if you don't, it's a bit of a surprise.

To be honest, though, I kind of like the way the show did the climax of the first book a little better. It was far more dramatic in the show and a little lackluster here. That being said, there are some things of the book I wish had made it into the show (Bubba being one). I guess I'll just have to watch and read both.

Overall, 4 stars out of 5. Definitely read this book if you have any interest in vampires at all.

Now to start book 2..

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#2 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

I have finished reading books two, three and four of the Sookie Stackhouse series (and am currently reading book 5).

I'm enjoying this series immensely. I like the mysteries, the characters and the general plot lines found within. About the only thing I have an annoyance with is the fact that Sookie's clothing (and I guess other people's too, but mostly Sookie) is described in such detail and over and over. By book 5 I think I know what Sookie wears to work yet she'll describe it in detail over and over (as if a new reader is going to pick up book 5 before reading the four before it).

This upcoming season of True Blood will loosely be based on book 4 of the series. If it's even remotely like the book it's going to be a really good season.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#3 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:42 PM

On book 6. The synopsis of this one doesn't sound quite as interesting as the other five before it. But I'll save judgment til I'm finished with it.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#4 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

I have more or less lost interest in this series for now. Bri, however, is reading the last one that's out at the moment (#11) and will be reading the next one when it comes out (May I think).

I just got distracted by the A Song of Ice and Fire series (which I'll make a topic for eventually).

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#5 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

Bri finished this book series and loved it. I think the author is making one more book to wrap everything up, as it's supposed to be a "what happens after the final book" type deal (to cover what happens to all the characters). I never got past book 6.

The show, on the other hand, has gone to crap. It started great, following the books fairly close and capturing the feel of everything. Season 4 started to go off the tracks a little and by season 5 it had pretty much jumped the shark and wasn't following anything from the books. Season 5 was rather painful to watch and season 6, which just finished a few months ago, was worse. They've already announced that season 7 will be the end of the series which is probably for the best considering it's nothing like the source material any more.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users