63 replies to this topic

#21 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

#64 Papparazi

This video lasts FOREVER! It's like watching a mini movie. First imhpression: This lady has some whacked out costumes. Seriously who thought of these?! You have psycho yellow micky mouse assasin, C3Po leftovers (Is guess the ones Beyonce left behind), super sparkle neck brace outfit. Just craziness. Its like the guy that dumped her off the balcony in the beginning made her land on her head and caused psychosis. Oh and you get to see her dead like 85 times. Awesome! The song itself isn't total fail, but like the rest of the vid is just kind of wtf. Its mellow and just sort of gives you this cold feeling. I dind't really get many of the lyrics aside from pa pa, pa parazii. Ah well.
:|

#63 Magical

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this at the start, but I ended up being very surprised by the end of it all. What if Linkin Park went all bubblegum upbeat? You get this. While that sounds kinda bad, its really not at all. I was pretty impressed with this song, and wouldn't mind hearing it a time or two more. While Im not about to rush out and buy it, I wouldn't change the radio if it came on. The video is also pretty entertaining. Basically the main singer/rapper guy wakes up and all this crazy stuff is happening (A hot lady makes a giant bowl of cereal in his bathroom sink. lol) And he realizes he's dreaming all this but can't wake himself up (meanwhile there's a party with girls everywhere attacking him while he's trying to wake himself up. Good stuff.
:)

#62 Misery

While Im not the biggest Maroon 5 fan at all, I have heard quite as few of their songs. Haven't seen too many of the videos tho. Despite the video and the (assumed) lyrics, this has a really upbeat feel to it. I don't really search out the lyrics to songs unless I just love them or I just happen to catch what they are saying. (for this song all I really got was "I am in Misery") Be all that as it may, this song wasn't terrible. I've heard better from the band. The song on its own is just kinda meh, but not bad. The video was great tho, while it had some lame effects, it was quite enjoyable.
I even laughed when the lady brought out a rocket launcher. (just watch it! lol)

#61 Animal

Again, I'm with James on this. Its synth heavy emo-pop. Not the worst thing you'll ever hear (especially on this list) but definately not the best. If this song had come out 4 or 5 years ago it may have really taken off, as it is now, its nothing new. The video is just odd, and I can't stand looking at the lead singer (or the rest of the band for that matter) for very long (excluding the drummer, she's ok). It just seems to stretch on a bit too long and you're glad when its over.

#60 Over

Drake.. geez, man. This song sounds like a throat cancer patient singing through his auto voice box at first. Then it just gets stupid. Not a shocker. The beat sucks, and suffers the same Beiber car honking beat with some kung fu movie music sampling thrown in. UUUUGH it sucks so bad. The video lol its like its trying to look like a 70s acid trip but failing. This song isn't OVER soon enough.
:zomg:

Posted Image Posted Image

#22 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

Huh. Tie Me Down worked this morning..

try this one

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#23 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:47 PM

#059 Ke$ha - Take It Off

Spoiler

Hooray! The first song on the list that is exclusively sung by the queen of auto-tune herself, Ke$ha. Now if you've never heard of Ke$ha or her music, well, congratulations on being able to avoid one of the most popular singers out there in the pop world right now. Seriously. But unfortunately, now I must introduce you to her.

Ke$ha is a "rapper" and a "singer" and I use those loosely because she can't do either one of those things. Yet somehow she made it into the pop world and is sitting on a throne next to Lady Gaga. She overuses the use of auto-tune so much so that even T-Pain is probably like "woah, back it off!" And almost most of her songs are about partying or getting it on with random dudes.

Yet in an interview this is what she had to say about herself and her music: "I'm fighting a war against pretension."

With all that in mind, let's take a listen to "Take It Off."

The song starts with a robot invasion. Oh wait, that's just Ke$ha. See what I mean? And then it's like she decided to try to sing WITHOUT auto-tune and it's awful. Awful. Then back to auto-tune which is just as bad. :suicide:

The song is about getting drunk/partying and being in a club. Big surprise. Does this girl EVER go home?? She's going to have liver failure before she's even 22 at this rate.

Rating: :zomg:

-----------

#058 The Black Eyed Peas - Meet Me Halfway

Spoiler

Another Black Eyed Peas song! But this one isn't nearly as horrible as the last one we listened to. This one starts with Fergie who actually sings and isn't a chipmunk. See, improvement!

Now, as I've said, Will.i.am is not exactly a poet when it comes to the lyrics in BEP songs, but this song isn't really that bad. The lyrics are pretty much what the song title is (meeting someone halfway). The beat isn't that bad. The song is kind of relaxing.

For a BEP song it's not bad.

Rating: :|

-----------

#057 Taylor Swift - You Belong With Me

Spoiler

Ugh. Another Taylor Swift cutesy bubblegum puppy dog love song. This one is about a girl who's pining after some guy who's dating someone else who she thinks isn't good enough for him (and that she'd be a better match for him).

But she wears short skirts, I wear T-shirts
She's Cheer Captain and I'm on the bleachers
Dreaming about the day when you wake up and find
That what you're looking for has been here the whole time

So she's either pining after a jock (who probably doesn't have half a brain) or the dude is just waaaaaaaaay out of her league. Maybe if she'd stop being so plain he might notice her?

Ugh. I don't even know or care. This is another one of those songs I immediately reach for the off button.

-----------

#056 Ludacris - My Chick Bad (ft. Nicki Minaj)

Spoiler

The beat to this song is okay I guess. But man, the song is kind of repetitive (but that seems to be the trend in 2010).

Nicki Minaj's guest verse is a lot of gibberish for a lot of it and references both Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street.

Here's what I say about this song: This song bad!

-----------

#055 Orianthi - According To You

Spoiler

This song has some really nice guitar parts and is probably the most rock song we've heard yet on this list. I like it. A lot. I know absolutely nothing about Orianthi though.

Lyrically this song is about a girl who's in a bad relationship with a guy who's putting her down but she's met some guy who is doing the opposite. This strikes home a little closer than I'd like to even admit. But even without the personal experience behind it, it's not bad.

Rating: :headphones:

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#24 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:25 PM

#054 OneRepublic - All The Right Moves

Spoiler

Another 2009 song that came kicking and screaming into the 2010 list. I've already briefly mentioned this song during the last OneRepublic song on the list ("Secrets"). Musically it's okay but lyrically it's..well..

All the right friends in all the right places
So yeah, we're going down
They got all the right moves in all the right places
So yeah, we're going down

Okay? What does this even mean??

I like "Secrets" more.

-----------

#053 Jay Sean - Do You Remember (ft. Sean Paul, Lil Jon)

Spoiler

Another 2009 song! Woo! Did we somehow go back in time? Anyway..

All right! I was waiting for a song to show up with Lil Jon in it. You may or not know who that is, but if you've ever seen Chapelle's Show you know him via parody. And you hear him immediately in this song. He's the one that yells "HEY! JAY SEAN!" Yeah, that guy. And Sean Paul, he's the rapper who no one can understand a single word of any of his verses. He had a big hit back in the day called "Get Busy"

As for the main act himself, Jay Sean has been around for a few years (at least that I can remember). He had another hit called "Down" with Lil Wayne, also in 2009, which I suspect will appear somewhere in this list.

As for this particular song... it's.. uhh... forgettable except for Lil Jon yelling "BRING IT BACK!" in the background and Sean Paul's nearly incomprehensable rap (you can actually understand some of it this time!).

"DO YOU REMEMBER?" After ten seconds no, no I will not remember this song Jay Sean.

-----------

#052 Trey Songz - Bottoms Up (ft. Nicki Minaj)

Spoiler

This song makes me feel like drinking a bunch of alcohol to make me forget it. The song is all about drinking at the club/bar. "Bottoms Up"! I guess "Alcohol Poisoning" isn't quite as catchy.

I just love how Nicki Minaj starts her guest verse in this song. "Uh huh. Uh. Uh, yo" over top some of the lyrics. It's just like "hey, shut up, let me have my part now!" like a spoiled little girl. And there's a lyric that she says that I'm still trying to figure out WHY she says it: "Rest in peace to Anna Nicole Smith". What does Anna Nicole Smith have anything to do with this? :iiam:

-----------

#051 Ke$ha featuring 3OH!3 - Blah Blah Blah (ft. 3OH!3)

Spoiler

Oh Ke$ha. How I wish we didn't have to hear you again so soon.

This song is all about her wanting to bang some dude in a club as she's partying but he keeps talking so she wants him to shut up. Try to wrap your head around the fact that the most annoying pop star in the last 30 years wants SOMEONE ELSE to shut up.

This song is so full of auto-tune that sometimes you wonder if you're listening to an Apple Mac trying to sing.

Oh and there's a little guest verse by the 3Oh!3 duo. Oddly it's probably the best part of the song but that's really, really not saying much.

As horrible as this song is, once you hear it it'll be stuck in your head and will never go away. I have warned you.

-----------

#050 Jay-Z - Young Forever

Spoiler

Our first Jay-Z song. Could this be the one little ol Miley was listening to as she arrived in LA?

I really don't know what to say about this song. When I hear it on the radio I tend to leave it on. Is it really that good? No. But it's certainly not bad either (by comparison of most songs on this list). It's just sort of there. Melodically the song is kind of relaxing and Jay-Z doesn't use auto-tune and has an okay voice.

So I'll just say it's an average song that doesn't get on my nerves.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#25 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:55 PM

#049 Rihanna - Hard (ft. Jeezy)

Spoiler

I really like the beat and background music to this song. It's a shame it's Rihanna that's singing over top of it. Now, normally I don't mind Rihanna. I mean, she's not the best pop star in the world or anything like that, but she's certainly not that horrible. Except in this song I can't really stand her voice. I don't know why. If I had to try and put it into words though, I'd say at least part of it is due to all the "AH AH AH" type things she's doing with her voice.

-----------

#048 Kris Allen - Live Like We're Dying

Spoiler

I don't know who Kris Allen is but this song doesn't really inspire me to go out living like I'm dying. The song is just kinda bland and very pop-ish to me. Lyrically it's all about living like we're dying. Gee, what a surprise.

-----------

#047 Rihanna - Only Girl (In The World)

Spoiler

Another Rihanna song already? Honestly, I like her singing in this one more than "Hard". Of course this song is so repetitive in the chorus that I can't really enjoy it. Well, that and the chorus is sung almost entirely in the upper part of the scale, which makes it sound pretty bland and bad (and almost painful). The verses aren't bad though.

-----------

#046 Taylor Swift - Mine

Spoiler

Taylor Swift again. Blah blah blah, you know how I feel about her by now. This song is about her rebelling by dating a college guy. Seeing as how she's college age herself, I fail to see how this is a rebellion. Moving on now.

-----------

#045 Adam Lambert - Whataya Want From Me

Spoiler

Adam Lambert was the runner up on American Idol on the 8th season. So right off the bat you know he can sing without the overuse of auto-tune (or any at all even).

I like this song, especially the chorus. The solo part is a little weird (it's almost like a synth thing going on there) but it's pretty catchy too. Lyrically it may not be the best in the world but it's okay.

I'm really not sure what else to say about it.

Rating: :)

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#26 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

#59 Take It Off

Oh look its our pal Ke$ha. At least that or someone's molesting an electronic cow. It's hard to tell. Poor cow. I feel bad comparing you to Ke$ha. What bothers me the is that this is probably the best Ke$ha song I've heard. It steals its tune from another song (I can't place what it is, but I know its old and has something to do with Egypt) Lots of times while hearing this song I just pictured the DERP noise coming out of nowhere and Ke$ha going yeah! I like that! and keeping it in. I think she's in love with dying cassette player noise too. She has that slow/fast thing multiple times in all her songs. ugh. I hate that she can write the same type of song over and over and its always catchy enough to lodge in your head. Catchy doesn't = good. :( The video for this song goes from dirty people scavenging through an empty parking lot, to a crazy color rave party in an abandonded pool and people explode into rainbow colors.. Oooook.
:(

#58 Meet Me Halfway

Black Eyed Peas are back. As James said this isn't a bad song, personally I prefered the previous one. I guess Im not a fan of Fergie at all. As I preferred her chipmunk voice to this. Maybe I don't like slower songs. Something about this just doesn't agree with me. Its probably the stuttering followed up by speak and spell voice. Oh and Stephen Hawking makes his singing debut. Yay. The video is more wtf, but its like Yu Gi Oh and Avatar had some love baby. Not quite as cool as robots getting served. Oh and one of them has a dragon radar! Shenlong! I wish for this song to be better.

#57 You Belong With Me

While I don't have the deep burning hate for Tayor Swift that James does, I'll agree that her songs are pretty lame. This one is better than the last, but really its like saying I prefer a dislocated finger to a broken finger. They both suck and I'd rather not have either. Its yet another two dimensional forray into lovey love land and it lacks depth. Its easy to see the reason for Kanye rage. (Not that he's any better) The video (I had actually seen before) is equally lame, and has a happy ending. aaaaw.. blech.

#56 My Chick Bad

OH MY GOD. This song suck, this song suck, th th th this song suck! (now repeat that 10,000 times and you can feel my pain) Whats bad, you're tired of hearing 'My Chick Bad' being said before he ever actually stastrts in with his negative bizarro land helium voice, and the first thing out of his mouth 'My CHICK BAD' UUUUUGH!!!!! Is it sad when the Niki part is the best part of the whole song?! "It's Friday the 13th, guess who's playin' Jason?" (Kane Hodder?) "It's Nightmare on Elm Street, Guess who's playin' Freddy?" (if its not Robert Englund I don't care.) Also there's a bad simpsons refrence too. ugh... Heres hoping they find their way to Elm St AND Crystal Lake.
:zomgbloody: :x

#55 According to You

Wow. I didn't think songs like this could be on the list. At first glance it looks to be another sappy girly love fest, but it immediately jumps in and just starts kicking ass. While lyricly its similar to Taylor Swift's 'You Belong To Me' It beats the crap out of every other song (so far) on this list in the music department. Seriously the guitar in this song was stellar! The video even has this nice Guitar Hero feel to it (same kind of camera angle) throughout and you can see them actually playing the notes. Nice!
First song on the list to get this rating from me. Kudos!
:headphones:

#27 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

#54 All The Right Moves

I hardly remembered this band, even after reviewing the other song on this list. (I recall I thought they were whiney) Strange as it is I really ended up liking this song. Yeah its not much lyricly but I found it far more enjoyable than the previous song. As I said earlier on, lyrics don't matter too much to me. The video just seemed to fit and complemented nicely. Its nothing that original, but it was decent.

#53 Do You Remember

Lil Jon, lol he just seems so out of place in this song. Like the 3rd wheel that they let tag along out of pity. Seriously this song is so girly. Sean Paul fits in ok, but Lil Jon.. he out testosterones them all. I thought it funny at the beginning of the video, he yells "HEY LADIES" and the ladies walking by turn their heads all fast like "OMG WE'RE GONNA DIE!!" If not for Lil Jon I wouldn't remember this song at all. Not like I'd want to.

#52 Bottoms Up

Another song I wish I didn't see the video for. The song itself is your typical rap fare. Drinky drinky zzzzzzzz. The video, its like a journey into horror. There's so much dark and shakey cam and really fast shakey head going on. And the lighting and everything, it just reminds me of a horror movie. Oh and Niki whoever is in it, that's always scary. There are plenty of times in the video where you could pause it at just the right moment and get perfect DERP faces from either of them. (I suggest we do this.)

#51 Blah Blah BLah

Ke$ha again!? Her and Drake must have slept with lots of producers in 2010. I hate that I can understand why America loves Ke$ha so much. Her songs are all freakin' catchy. In that OMG its never leaving my brain sort of way. Ravers can rave to it, angsty slut girls can relate to it, retards can actually like it. I can't say I absoloutely despise this song, the music (w/o the kesha) is decent technoy fair, and if Ke$ha could come up with good subject matter I might even like her, but alas Auto Tune robo voice and slow down speed up gimmicks can only go so far, and when abused to the extent that Ke$ha seems to like, they grow old fast. Video = Ke$ha bowling badly with 3oh3, and repeatedly bungee jumps to the ceiling.

#50 Young Forever

Talk about out of place. Im not quite sure who the other singer is, but he (to me) sounds an awful lot like Sting. What a strange combo. Jay Z just doesn't seem to fit in his own song. What else is new. This song to me was complete and total bore. The video followed suit, and I almost went to sleep. Great if you're looking for a good lullibye. Just subtract Jay Z. Nighty night.

:| |-) |-) |-) |-)

#28 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:57 PM

#49 Hard

Rihanna. It seems almost as if she's responding to Chris Brown with this song, saying "IM SO HARD, YOU CAN'T HURT ME!" (and hopefully not implying hard as in side effect of viagra, hard.) She even pseudo nods to Tina Turner in the video, decking herself out in Beyond Thunderdome-ish attire. Guess its only fair since Chris refrenced Ike. Drama aside the song is obnoxious, plain and simple. The video is full of wtf (Pink battle tank with Rhianna on top sporting a mikey mouse eared helmet) Watch and experience the pain yourself.

#48 Live Like We're Dying

This is one of those overplayed songs you hear all the time on the radio and wish you didn't. The first time you hear it, its not so bad. Like James says tho, it really doesn't inspire me to go out and change my life, in fact the biggest question I had coming away from this song was "How many seconds really are in a day?" The song says 86400... doesn't seem like enough. I don't know.. moving onwards, the video was actually kind of neat.
:-|

#47 Only Girl (In the World)

First off, singing SOOOO much better in this song than in HARD. The video, its like an overglorified playtex commercial starring Rihanna. Its interesting but just turns into her bouncing about all happy like the women in those ads. She also seems to have stolen Ronald McDonald's hair. (Perhaps she's the hamburgler in disguise!?) If the music weren't awful this song could have been amazing sounding. Too bad.

#46 Mine

Look its Taylor Swift again. Its the same song again? May as well be. blah. Cutting this one short.

#45 Whataya Want From Me

Another way overplayed song, but at least its a decent one. Compared to the rest of the list I'd choose this one over most them any day. Video is pretty decent also. He looks almost bishoneny (Im sure there's a reason for that, as my wife told me all about him) in the vid, but it's done well.

#29 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:20 AM

#044 Justin Bieber - Baby (ft. Ludacris)

Spoiler

Ludacris..what are you doing backing Justin Bieber? No, really. WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN A BIEBER SONG??? Get out of there and go back to your own horrible music.

As for the Biebs himself, well, it's pretty much what you'd expect from a 15 year old. I'm curious as to when exactly it became okay to have a chorus that is almost nothing but ONE WORD repeated over and over. Was it thanks to Bieber? I don't know.

Anyway, this song is horrible.

-----------

#043 Jason Derulo - Whatcha Say

Spoiler

Another 2009 song.

When the whole Chris Brown thing happened a bunch of rappers popped up trying to take his place. Jason Derulo is one of them. He's easily forgettable. He also has a habit of saying his name at the start of every song he does (which is a pet peeve of mine in music).

This particular song samples another song called "Hide and Seek" and is probably the only good part.

The song is about a cheater. I have some problems with a few of the lyrics of this song. I know Andy says he doesn't care so much about the lyrics, and in a way I don't either. But sometimes they pop out at me and I can't help it. So here we go..

'Cause when the roof caved in and the truth came out
I just didn't know what to do

How about say you're sorry?

But when I become a star we'll be living so large
I'll do anything for you

But what if you DON'T become a star? Is your love for her going to be tied to stardom?

Despite what I say, I tend to leave this one on when it comes on the radio. Derulo's lyrics are kind of dumb and that other song is HEAVILY sampled (seriously, it's like 90% of the song) but it isn't the most awful song I've heard.

-----------

#042 La Roux - Bulletproof

Spoiler

What is this song's genre? I'm having trouble trying to classify it. It's almost like a techno mixed with rock.

Well, whatever it is. I really, really love this song. It almost sounds like something I'd expect in the 80's. It's unique in the pop world. And the little solo part always makes me wish that it went on a little longer (sign of a good song). The chorus is repetitive (actually the whole song is), I know, but for some reason it doesn't bug me like half of the other songs do. It's probably due to the way the song sounds.

I normally will not comment on the music video but all I'll say here is that holy crap. You'll look at the singer and probably fall out of your chair. But that shouldn't affect what you think about the actual song..

I think it's probably a total fluke that this song made it into the pop mainstream, muchless on the top 2010 list.

Rating: :headphones:

-----------

#041 Jay Sean - Down (ft. Lil Wayne)

Spoiler

Yep, here it is. The 2009 Jay Sean hit "Down". I told you that it'd show up on this list! I'm starting to understand the collective pop mind of America.

The song starts off sounding pretty neat (almost Asian) and then goes into generic pop rap/dance song #5992 mode. Oh and guess what. This song has Lil Wayne in it. I'm starting to learn that if something has Lil Wayne in it that it's not going to be a masterpiece.

This song is bland. It's uninspired. And it doesn't have Lil Jon to make me laugh.

-----------

#040 Flo Rida - Club Can't Handle Me (ft. David Guetta)

Spoiler

Raise your hand if you can describe what Flo Rida looks like without looking him up on Wikipedia or in his music videos. Anyone? Who IS this guy? I know his name is a pun on Florida (Flo Rida->Florida) and I know he's had some huge hits including a song that everyone has heard at least once in 2007: "Low". Beyond that though, I can't tell you anything about this guy.

I can tell you about this song though. It starts off ripping off Kings of Leon's "Use Somebody" (listen to both and tell me I'm wrong). Then Flo Rida starts rapping and no one has a clue what he says beyond a few words ("ARROGANT LIKE YEAH") until the chorus. This, by the way, is a staple of Flo Rida. No one cares about the verses in any of his songs because no one can understand them. Then we reach the chorus, which is probably the only decent part in the whole song but it's because it's not Flo Rida carrying it. It's some unknown chick.

The idea that a club can't handle you is ridiculous. If the club really can't handle you then they have BOUNCERS to get rid of you. And the more I hear this song the more I wonder if Flo Rida is just bored of clubbing. I mean, one of the lyrics mentions zoning out (i.e. not having fun/staring off into space). Flo Rida should just go home.

You may be wondering why I haven't mentioned David Guetta. Well, that's because he doesn't actually appear anywhere in the song. I don't know who he is. I don't know what he actually did for this song.

I will give this song at least one saving grace: it's up beat. That's probably the only okay part of this song..

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#30 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

:zomg: We broke the top 40! We're now listening to what the country considers the best of the best of pop music for the year. These songs that follow are the ones that were requested the most on radio and have been played to the point of exhaustion. And from here on out, most of these (if not all) are ones I have heard (multiple times).

With all that said.. let's get to it.

#039 Michael Bublé - Haven't Met You Yet

Spoiler

Another 2009 song that probably should have just gone away. Yet America dragged it kicking and screaming into 2010.

It's another one of those bubble gum pop songs (to me at least). It's another one of those songs that when it starts I want to reach for the off button but if I leave it on I tend to end up liking it. I really don't know how that works. How can a song annoy me at the start yet turn out to be okay by the end?

-----------

#038 Timbaland - Carry Out (ft. Justin Timberlake)

Spoiler

What do you get when you take a beat that sounds like a beating heart and a bunch of lyrics that consists nothing but fast food sexual double entendres? You get this song.

Now if Justin Timberlake sounds or looks familiar it's probably because you know him better when he was the lead singer for 'N Sync. Then he broke away from the band and has a somewhat successful career. You may also know him for the song he did on SNL.

Despite the fact that it says "featuring" Justin, most of the song is carried by him. I really think the titles should have been flipped.

As for the song itself, the beat is somewhat catchy (even if it does sound like a heart beat) but the lyrics are just so stupid. I mean, really? REALLY? Has America reached the point where they want their music to be about food??

-----------

#037 Far East Movement - Like A G6 (ft. The Cataracs, DEV)

Spoiler

If it's one thing I noticed here in America it's that there are no Asians in the music business. Sure, in Japan/Korea you have tons of J&K-pop/rock/whatever but here in America..nothing. Well, that's about to change. The Far East Movement is an American electro hop quartet in which its members represent different generations of Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Filipino ancestry. "Like a G6" is their first hit single.

Poppin bottles in the ice, like a blizzard
When we drink we do it right gettin slizzard

Slizzard just means drunk. And how else are you going to drink? What's the wrong way? Pouring it over your head or something?

Sippin sizzurp in my ride, like Three 6

Sizzurp is COUGH SYRUP. Yea, you read that right. This song advocates drinking cough syrup which is a horrible way to get a buzz and has an added bonus of killing you should you overdose on it. Also, for a while I had no idea what "three 6" was but then I figured it out. It's a rap group (and they're also known as the Triple Six Mafia). And I highly doubt the members of Three 6 drink cough syrup.

Now I’m feelin so fly like a G6
Like a G6, Like a G6
Now I’m feelin so fly like a G6

If you're wondering what "G6" is.. well, it's nothing. It doesn't exist. They were trying to one-up everyone. In other songs in pop mainstream they mention a G4 and G5 (which are jets) but a G6 doesn't actually exist (at least not yet). So.. uhh yeah. This song is basically like a bunch of school children going "NUH UH! I'M INFINITY+1!!!"

When sober girls around me, they be ackin like they drunk

I seriously doubt it guys.

Girl i keep it gangsta, poppin bottles at the crib

Because opening bottles of alcohol is so gangsta!

Okay, I'm done analyzing the stupidity of the lyrics. You get the point. The song itself is at least a little catchy. But overall, yeah, this song is pretty bad.

By the way, they have a new single already out here in 2011 and it does something I can't stand in music (like I already mentioned): it references their last single hit. So far I'm not too impressed with this band. Can we get a band like HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR or UVERworld to come over to America? Heck, even Orange Range would do pretty good for the whole rap/rock/pop section.

-----------

#036 Ludacris - How Low

Spoiler

This song just makes me laugh. The very first time I heard this song I was playing FFXI sailing on a boat fishing. Then I heard a loud chipmunk voice wanting to know how low I can go and thought it was a joke. No one would seriously use that in a real song, I thought. I thought it was one of those DJs that like to mix songs and other things together.

Yet here I am, listening to it yet again. It's a Ludacris song. I should have known.

I am not really sure what to say about this song, honestly. It sounds like your typical rap song. The only thing that kind of saves this song is the chipmunk. I mean, it's funny to imagine Alvin the Chipmunk yelling at people to "Get it! Get it!". But maybe that's just me.

Rating: :| but with a side of :grin:

-----------

#035 Nelly - Just A Dream

Spoiler

I often get Nelly and Jay-Z confused. Their music tends to sound a lot alike to me. Both have also been around for a pretty long time.

This song is about a guy who lost his wife and she's moved on with another man. Divorce. This song is about divorce. With lyrics that have a bit of "UH! UH! UH!" shouting over top. So moving! Melodically, this song isn't that bad. But not enough to save the song.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users