#1 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

white_christmas.jpg

A classic Christmas musical that I had somehow gone nearly 30 years without seeing. :psyduck: But thanks to Bri I've now seen!

Plot
Having left the Army following W.W.II, Bob Wallace and Phil Davis team up to become a top song-and-dance act. Davis plays matchmaker and introduces Wallace to a pair of beautiful sisters (Betty and Judy) who also have a song-and-dance act. When Betty and Judy travel to a Vermont lodge to perform a Christmas show, Wallace and Davis follow, only to find their former commander, General Waverly, as the lodge owner. A series of romantic mix-ups ensue as the performers try to help the General.

Thoughts
This movie is pretty great. There, I said it. I honestly didn't expect to like it, though I don't really know why--I like other musicals just fine. Maybe it's just because I work in retail and Christmas SUCKS in retail. The last thing someone in retail wants to hear is Christmas music, after all, after being bombarded with it non-stop for two months straight. Still, it was nice to finally see where some of these classic tunes came from that we hear all the time on the radio and being played in stores.

The movie also has quite a lot of songs that aren't Christmas related at all. I found those to be hit or miss. Some, like "The Old Man" and "Geee! I Wish I Was Back in the Army" I found quite enjoyable, others like "Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep" I just found kind of meh. There was one song that had a joke about how to stop a dog from biting you on Monday that just killed me due to how cheesy it was though. I couldn't stop laughing at it.

The dialog in the film was often fast and witty with several callbacks to other scenes. You have to pay attention in this one or you might miss something, something that is often times funny. As for the actors/actresses, I didn't have any problems with them. Crosby was great as Wallace but I think I liked Kaye's performance as Davis more. The two sisters were okay too, though I didn't find the two sisters quite as engaging as the two leading men. The general was awesome though I actually felt pretty sorry for him (the song "What Can You Do With a General?" didn't help).

Anyway, I could go on and on I guess and over-analyze/talk about everything but I'll stop it here.

In short, if you're like me and you've heard of the movie White Christmas but never saw it before, and if you're a fan of musicals or old-time comedy movies, then perhaps it's time you gave this movie a chance. Yeah, it's kind of sappy and cheesy, but it's touching and, as I said before, you can see where a lot of the good Christmas songs you listen to on a yearly basis came from.

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#2 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

lol I will take your word on this one. Old movies are hardly ever entertaining for me, especially the holiday ones.

Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users