• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 KuroMa

KuroMa

Shinigami Vice Captain

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

I've read The Death of Ivan Ilytch and The Castle. Both are pretty heavy books, so I've already started Poirot's Christmas to keep myself from becoming too depressed :psyduck:

#42 ItsNotTheEd

ItsNotTheEd

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:47 AM

I've been on a post-apocalyptic / zombie phase lately.  I read all but the newest book in The Remaining series, and the same goes for Arisen.  Both are strongly military based zombie survival books.  I read the first two Amazon This Is The End bundles. Each contains nine books from various authors, but they're all post apocalyptic themed.  I haven't really had much time to read lately, but I really want to go back and finish the two series mentioned before.

REBEL AGAINST THE IYOUBOUSHI!! Even though this forum is new, I still stand firmly by my beliefs! He is out to get us! OUT TO GET US ALL!!

#43 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,004 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:26 PM

I feel like it's been ages since I last read an actual book.    Just not enough time in the world for everything I want to do, lulz.

But as it is, I'm reading The Prince Lestat by Anne Rice.  This is the latest book of the Vampire Chronicles.  I read the original book series from 2003-2004 and when I finished the last one I had heard/read that Anne Rice was done with the vampire stuff--that she'd never write another book in this series.  Well, in 2014 she published The Prince Lestat kind of out of nowhere.  Bri bought the hardback last year but I just haven't had time to pick up the book and read it.  Plus it had been 10 (11 now) years since I last read the chronicles and had forgotten quite a lot about it.  Thankfully the internet is great for reading synopses and whatnot so I was refreshed.

Anyway, it takes place in modern day (well, 2013) and stars a lot of the old fan-favorite vampires, such as Lestat and Marius, as well as a bunch of new ones.  There's a voice that they've been hearing that is urging them to kill other vampires by burning them to death using the so-named "Fire Gift" that older vampires possess (basically they can set things on fire with their minds).  Vampires all around the world are being murdered and burned.  But who is the voice and what is its ultimate goal?   Why is it urging them to kill the vampires?  More importantly, how do they stop it?

There's also a subplot about a vampire doctor/scientist.  He was turned by an ancient vampire and has spent his undead life studying vampire blood/dna/etc.  And he's discovered a lot of interesting things. 

I'm about 65% through the book.  I'm enjoying it but it just feels so different from the other vampire books she wrote.  I guess it's just because it's been so long.  Anyway, if you're a fan of the Vampire Chronicles you might want to consider picking it up.

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#44 Smz

Smz

Powerful GM

• Administrators
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:55 PM

I kind of just stopped reading Shadows in the Watchgate. I wonder if I had done the same ages go when I first started to read it. Seeing as how in April this year I said I needed to finish reading it, and I haven't by now, tells me I really don't like it. Oh well. lol

So, I started Skin Game, the current novel in The Dresden Files series. Though I had forgotten to get the previous book, oops. Will have to get that one in the future. I say started, but I finished it on Sunday in less than a week. Nope, I totally don't like the series or anything. lol Next book should be interesting, though of course that's a couple of years or so away. Since I'm terrible at summarizing, I'll just post what's on the back of the cover to give an idea what goes on during it.

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, is about to have a very bad day. Because as Winter Knight to the Queen of Air and Darkness, Harry never knows what the scheming Mab might want him to do. Usually, it's something awful.

Mab has traded Harry's skills to pay off a debt. And now he must help a group of villains, led by Harry's most despised enemy, Nicodemus Archleone, to break into a high-security vault so that the can then access a vault in the Nevernever.

Problem is, the vault belongs to Hades, Lord of the freaking Underworld. And Dresden is dead certain that Nicodemus has no intention of allowing any of his crew to survive the experience. Dresden's always been tricky, but he's going to have to step up his backstabbing game to survive this mess...

Posted Image

#45 Smz

Smz

Powerful GM

• Administrators
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:00 PM

So I just read through Cold Days, a novel in The Dresden Files. Now most of the stuff I read in Skin Game makes more sense. lol

After being murdered then brought back to life, Harry Dresden soon realizes that maybe death wasn't all that bad. Because he is no longer Chicago's only professional wizard.

He is now Winter Knight to Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness. Her word is his command. And her first command is the seemingly impossible: kill an immortal. Worse still, there is a growing threat to an unfathomable source of magic that could mean the deaths of millions.

Beset by enemies new and old, Harry must gather his friends and allies, prevent an apocalypse, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound infinite powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own...

His soul.

Posted Image

#46 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:33 PM

Just picked up and finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child today.  It's not a very long book and it's written in script format (it's a play that's currently running and the book is basically just the play written out).  Despite being in a script format it's really easy to read (even easier than if it were a novel, I'd say).

The beginning of it starts exactly where the epilogue of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows leaves off and focuses a lot on Harry's middle child, Albus Severus Potter.

I don't want to spoil anything for those who might pick it up and read.  I'll just say that as a HP fan, I enjoyed it. 

~James~

#47 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

I've started reading Shogun by James Clavell.  I've barely just started it, only on the first chapter, but it's not bad so far.

A major bestseller, by 1990 the book had sold 15 million copies worldwide. Beginning in feudal Japan some months before the critical Battle of Sekigahara in 1600, Shōgun gives an account of the rise of the daimyō "Toranaga" (based upon the actual Tokugawa Ieyasu). Toranaga's rise to the shogunate is seen through the eyes of the English sailor John Blackthorne, called Anjin ("Pilot") by the Japanese, whose fictional heroics are loosely based on the historical exploits of William Adams.

Watching that documentary about William Adams kind of inspired me to pick this novel up.  It has really good reviews and was turned into both a TV show and a movie so it must be pretty decent.  I'll let everyone know whenever I finish it.

~James~

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: books, reading, reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users