#1 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

170px-Gintamalogo.png
Gin Tama (銀魂 Gintama, lit. "Silver Soul"), also known as Gintama, is a Japanese manga written and illustrated by Hideaki Sorachi and serialized, beginning on December 8, 2003, in Shueisha's Weekly Shōnen Jump. Set in Edo which has been conquered by aliens named Amanto, the plot follows life from the point of view of samurai Gintoki Sakata, who works as a freelancer alongside his friends Shinpachi Shimura and Kagura in order to pay the monthly rent. Sorachi added the science fiction setting to develop characters to his liking after his editor suggested doing a historical series.

The story takes place in Edo (usually known today as Tokyo but in this series it was never changed), Japan, which was conquered by aliens called "Amanto" (天人, "Sky People") in the late Edo period (think of when Kenshin was still the Battousai, it's that time period). The samurai of Japan fought the aliens but after their defeat the Amanto placed a ban on carrying swords in public. The plot is focused on an eccentric samurai, Gintoki Sakata who helps a teenager named Shinpachi Shimura (imagine the main character from Love Hina) save his sister Tae from a group of aliens who want to make her part of a brothel. Impressed with Gintoki, Shinpachi becomes his apprentice and works with him as a freelancer in order to pay the monthly rent where Gintoki lives, as well as to know more about him. The two of them rescue a teenage alien girl named Kagura from a group of Yakuza who wanted to use her superhuman strength to kill people. Kagura joins Shinpachi and Gintoki to work as freelancers and the three become known as "Yorozuya" (万事屋, "We do everything" -- the sub in the anime reads as "Odd-Jobs"). While doing their job they encounter the police force Shinsengumi several times, who normally ally with Odd Jobs Gin in their work since they commonly involve dangerous criminals. They also come to meet Gintoki's former comrades during the Amanto's invasion, including the revolutionary Kotaro Katsura who maintains a friendly relationship with them despite his terrorist activities against the bakufu. On the other hand, Shinsuke Takasugi acts as a major antagonist throughout the series, as he wants to destroy the bakufu in a more violent way and sees his former comrades as enemies.

I mention that it's set in the late Edo period (again, think of when Kenshin was Battousai) but due to the aliens technology is basically caught up to today. There's cars, TVs, spaceships, robots and whatever else. But the people dress like it's still that old period of Japan and there's still samurai and most of the time the favored choice of weapon is still the sword. The aliens, Amanto, have many different forms. Apparently it's not just one race of aliens that came to Earth but rather a ton of different ones. There's some that look like frogs, some that look like giant chickens (madre de dios! Es el pollo diable!), others that look like fat Buu, and lots of weird animals/whatever else. It's a strange setting for an anime lol.

Most of the episodes, at least that I've seen, are stand alone. The events in one episode do carry over though so make sure you watch them in order. Episodes 1 and 2 are a "special" that, assumingly, take place far in advance in the anime (as all the characters are established and are together). Episode 3 starts where the manga starts, at the beginning, before the group is assembled.

I'm afraid the little blurb here just does not give this series justice. Imagine the insanity of Excel Saga mixed with tons of other anime parodies and you might have some kind of an idea on what this anime is like. It's crazy. It sort of reminds me a lot of Yakitate Japan without the bread stuff.

So check it out if you ever get bored and need something crazy to watch. Unfortunately it's not available on Netflix streaming (of course, lolol) but it is available on crunchyroll.com if you have an account there. If not..well, I'm sure you can find a way to see it.. >.>

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

sounds interesting.. will have to see if its on Youtube. lol

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

I'm on episode 19 so far lol. The randomness of this show is almost too much. I've seen episodes that range from Gintoki helping an escaped convict get to a j-pop concert, Gintoki trying to find an oscillating fan, to the group trying to catch a panty thief (yes seriously). It's nuts.

Here's an image I found online. Haven't seen this ep yet so no idea where in the series it's from.

Posted Image
~James~

#4 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

It's been pointed out to me that you can watch stuff on Crunchroll in 420p (standard quality) for free. so go here and watch Gintama right now!

Also, episode 25 is basically a Death Note parody (with everyone trying to "out think" and be one step ahead of everyone else at the table). Ryuk even has a small cameo in the episode (the outline of him is on top of the building at one point). :XD: I love this anime.
~James~

#5 KuroMa

KuroMa

Shinigami Vice Captain

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

what the methinks

i went to crunchroll and it was all in portuguese

all of it

even the subtitles

Anyways I saw eps 1 and 2. It's a fun anime! I don't get some of the jokes (must be japanese stuff?) but it's crazy and I liked it.

#6 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

Posted Image
~James~

#7 KuroMa

KuroMa

Shinigami Vice Captain

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

I should have figured

#8 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:24 AM

I don't know why but all of a sudden I feel compelled to see more Gintama.  I forgot where I stopped before though so at the moment I'm just reading through some of the manga.  I'll have to figure out what episode # I stopped on so I can resume. lol

~James~

#9 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:00 PM

I never thought I'd ever say something like this but after reading 31 chapters of the manga I think I actually like the anime better.  So far it's pretty much the same but the jokes and stuff work a lot better animated than they do on paper.

That being said, I'm still going to keep reading it lol.

~James~

#10 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9,784 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:53 AM

Just started volume 11 of Gintama (chapter 86).  After reading 85 chapters I can honestly say this is truly the most random series I've ever read in my life.  I'd highly recommend it to everyone though.  As long as you read the first volume or two, you can pretty much jump around if you want.  Most of the chapters are not connected to one another.  Most of the "arcs" last maybe five chapters total, at most (at least so far).  It's mostly just a bunch of silly short stories that always end up in insanity.  So if you get bored, go check it out!

~James~

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anime, gintama, manga

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users