• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:03 AM

zelda-breath-wild.jpg

"The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is an action-adventure video game developed and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo Switch and Wii U video game consoles. It is the 19th release in the main The Legend of Zelda series. The story is set in Hyrule and follows amnesiac protagonist Link, who awakens from a 100-year slumber to a mysterious voice that guides him to defeat Calamity Ganon.

The title's gameplay and mechanics constitute a departure from the series' conventions, featuring an open-world environment, a detailed physics engine, high-definition visuals, voice acting, and the ability to play through the game's dungeons in any order."

So basically, I suppose you can say it's Zelda meets Skyrim, or Fallout. And as far as I know, this is the final Nintendo-produced game for the Wii U. Not sure how the Switch version handles, but I have seen the fps drop on certain places. Like if there's a ton of grass and such.

Anyway. First thing I'll say is it's nothing like any previous Zelda game. For example, you can jump anytime you want. The game also doesn't tell you about a lot of things either. I'm not speeding through the game, probably not as far as most other people despite maybe having several hours in. There is some stuff that you have to do first, otherwise after that, you're free to do anything. Even go right to the last boss. There is amiibo support, though for the most part, it's random ingredients. I think there's some equipment too, but not sure how random that is. You  can even get a horse as well. They can only be used once every 24 hours. The Wolf Link one, however, will let Wolf Link fight at your side. If I recall, there's an optional dungeon on Twilight Princess where you can power him up. Or something like that, it's been too long since I read that. yo dawg, I heard you liked Link... :XD:

Honestly, I do find it interesting, though maybe a few things I find annoying. lol Not really sure what else to say without it being a spoiler. I'll make the next post list the current recipes I currently know.

#2 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:58 AM

I've come up with a new recipeh! lol

Cooking can either be done with food, or monster parts + insects or lizards. The latter will make elixirs instead of food. Both can have a variety of effects.

Fish Skewer = Hyrule Bass, One is two hearts, two is four hearts.

Fruit and Mushroom Mix = Spicy Pepper + Rushroom. Or Apple + Hylian Shroom, though heals for far less.

Steamed Fruit = Apple + Hyrule Herb.

Hearty Fried Wild Greens = Hearty Radish, healing plus adds three temporary hearts.

Energizing Mushroom Skewer = Stamella Shroom, recovers a minor amount of stamina and one heart.

Energizing Fish Skewer = Staminoka Bass, recovers a large amount of stamina and three hearts.

Energizing Glazed Mushrooms = Stamella Shroom + Courser Bee Honey, large stamina recovery and heals six hearts.

Enduring Fried Wild Greens = Endura Carrot, restores stamina and adds a temporary amount while healing four hearts. Five carrots will give you two temporary stamina wheels.

Hasty Mushroom Skewer = Rushroom, heals one heart and gives a minor speed boost for a minute.

Hasty Elixer = Hightail Lizard + Bokoblin Horn, gives minor speed boost for two minutes and ten seconds. A NPC can give you the recipe for this.

Spice Meat and Seafood Fry = Spicy Pepper + Raw Meat + Hyrule Bass, heals five hearts and gives minor cold resistance for three minutes and thirty seconds. This is hinted at from a early NPC, but you have to guess the ingredient that wasn't listed. If you can do this early enough, you might get something as well. lol

Baked Apple = should be obvious, no? lol Heals three quarters of a heart.

Seared Steak = Raw Meat, heals for a heart and a half. You can randomly find this being cooked at enemy camps as well.

Spicy Simmered Fruit = Apple + Spicy Pepper + Hyrule Shroom, heals three hearts and gives minor cold resistance for... eight minutes and thirty seconds. I want to say that this seems random on duration as I had three minutes and thirty seconds before. Unless this is another way to make this dish.

Roasted Bird Drumstick = Raw Bird Drumstick, heals for a heart and a half.

Hearty Steamed Mushrooms = Hylian Shroom + Big Hearty Radish, full recovery of hearts plus five temporary hearts. AKA, why even waste 40 rupees in an inn? lol

Meat Skewer = Raw Prime Meat, heals three hearts.

Enduring Steamed Mushrooms = Hylian Shroom + Endura Carrot, heals five hearts and gives temporary stamina.

Small Hearty Radish x3 + Prime Raw Meats x2 = a meal that gives full recovery and 9 temp hearts!

Razor Shroom + Bird Egg + Mighty Porgy = Mighty Fish and Mushroom Skewer = 5 hearts + 3x attack up for 3:10.

That's all the recipes I have at the moment. There's still a lot more to make, I'm sure. I just haven't experimented much yet.

Edited by Smz, 03 November 2018 - 10:05 PM.
Updated some recipes.

#3 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

First off, I'm loving this game.  I haven't had nearly as much time to play as Smz due to work and life eating up any free time, but for what little I have played it's been amazing.  This game is seriously just fantastic.  I would say perfect but alas there are a few things that I don't really like.

The limited amount of melee and ranged space gets annoying after a little while.  Yeah, the weapons tend to break pretty fast but there's still tons of them laying everywhere (and out of chests).  I kind of wish you had double the space on that.  I haven't run into any space issues with ingredients yet though (and I'm almost at the bottom of the second page for those) so I'm not sure if there's an actual limit on that or not.

The forced gyroscopic tilt on one of the shrines is absolutely an awful idea.  Whoever thought of that obviously didn't test it for more than a few seconds.  I really hope that's the only shrine that uses it..but I somehow doubt it.

Beyond those things though.. the game is pretty much perfect right now.  Maybe my opinion will change when I get further into it..but for now that's where I stand lol.

With that out of the way..

Some random things I've seen/heard:

* Amiibos are absolutely optional.  In fact it's disabled by default.  You have to enable it for it to shop up on your slate options.  As for what the various amiibos do.. it looks like all non-Zelda amiibos drop meat and random cooking ingredients.  The various Zelda ones do a bunch of random things.  It seems like all of the various Link amiibos have equipment (but it's rare) that is based on the game they come from (so Smash Link has the Twilight Princess clothes, 8bit Link has the classic NES outfit, WW Link has the WW tunic, etc).  Wind Waker amiibos also rain fish from the sky, all of them have the chance for random equipment (got a sword from Ganondorf), and one will give you Epona (which is one of the best horses in the game it looks like lol).  I'm sure there's other stuff.  But the main thing is.. it's all RNG and aside from the various game outfits, you can obtain it all in-game.  *** On that note, you CAN obtain Epona more than once if you lose her/she dies before you stable her.  It's just a lot lower chance on the RNG from the amiibo [it was previously thought that you couldn't].

* You can blow up trees with bombs.  Use this to save your melee weapons when you want to collect wood.

* You need 13 hearts.  Not sure why yet, but I saw this repeatedly.  So it's better to take the heart containers until you have 13 lol.

* You can switch hearts to stamina and vice versa, apparently, using a quest found in Hateno village .  It's 20 rupees per time.

* The sneak enhanced outfit is apparently very OP and basically makes you so stealthy that you can sneak up and one-shot most monsters. Can't confirm yet due to the insane cost.  I ain't made out of rupees, ya know.

* The "Game Over" text changes color based on how you die.  If you're killed by melee or burned it's red, frozen or drown it's blue, electrocuted is yellow.  There's probably more lol.

* Raw bird meat is from shooting birds with arrows.  :XD: I have a few.

I have a question of my own though.. what are the ancient parts (gears, springs, screws) used for??  Is it OK to sell them?  Or will they be used for crafting later? 

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#4 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

Or if you're silly like me, you can hunt or fish with bombs! :XD:

For the ancient parts... you're probably just a few main story quests on a npc telling you what to do with those. I haven't turned any in yet to see what you get, but I'll find out in just a few minutes.

You have to play for just a short bit before you can switch on using amiibos or not. I'm guessing it's after a certain scene before it allows you, but the game doesn't tell you anyway.

Ugh, yeah. That one puzzle was kind of lulz. Woo, forced gimmicks. lol

I think there might not be a limit for parts and maybe food, since there's a NPC who can expand the inventory, and the only options for that are melee, bows, and shields. I will say it needs an item to do so, and you'll have to look in various spots to find them, as they're hidden fairly well.

#5 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

Here's a handy recipe:

Razor Shroom + Bird Egg + Mighty Porgy = Mighty Fish and Mushroom Skewer = 5 hearts + 3x attack up for 3:10. 

Also don't know if it's fully obvious but you can place a wood pile + a piece of flint (get from mining rocks usually found on mountains) and strike it with your sword to start a fire.  Useful if you find a cooking pot that has no flame or want to pass the time.

On another note, I have found something else that I don't really like about this game.. lol.  It's a minor inconvenience but annoying. In order to fill the Hyrule Compendium you have to take pictures of everything.  That in itself isn't too bad..but it's the fact that you have to save the picture for the object to show up in there.  That gets kind of annoying since there's limited album space.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#6 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

Small Hearty Radish x3 + Prime Raw Meats x2 = a meal that gives full recovery and 9 temp hearts!

That might be useful for fighting mini bosses. :XD:

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#7 ItsNotTheEd

ItsNotTheEd

Giant Robot Pilot

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:17 AM

Lesson learned, don't climb cliffs when it's raining.  You slip, and it uses a good chunk of your stamina. Eventually you run out of stamina, and fall to your death!

I'm loving this game so far, but the difficulty is kind of surprising.  I was getting pretty comfortable with the combat until I moved on beyond the starting area. Moblins, guardians and everything else besides Keese is substantially harder than the starting enemies lol.  I can't even imagine a boss or mini-boss.

REBEL AGAINST THE IYOUBOUSHI!! Even though this forum is new, I still stand firmly by my beliefs! He is out to get us! OUT TO GET US ALL!!

#8 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

The maximum number of hearts that you can obtain in this game is 30 .  Obviously you have to complete all 120 shrines for that.  Saw a picture from someone who completed all the shrines and that's how many he had lol.

And yeah, climbing in the rain sucks. I've heard that having +climbing gear will keep you from sliding but in my experience it doesn't seem to help. Speaking of climbing gear, I've found two pieces of it (a bandana and a tunic). It stands to reason there's a third piece (pants) but I don't know where yet.

As for the mini bosses.... I've only been able to kill one and the only way I did that was by cheesing it.  There's a spot on the map where there's a huge hole leading down into a cave and one of the mini bosses is down there sleeping.  It's possible to snipe him from above.  I ran into one on the ground once and it one-shot me..so I don't recommend trying to take it on fairly lol.  The other mini boss I've seen..well, I ran away from it but I might try to find it again to take it on. 

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#9 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

Oh man and something else I've seen online was that NPCs will react differently to you depending on what you're wearing or not wearing.  If you running around in your starting underwear NPCs will basically comment on how indecent you're dressed and how you need to put some clothes on.  Pretty funny.  :XD:

NPCs will also comment if they see you on the ledge of a bridge (basically telling you not to jump to your death).  The amount of detail Nintendo has put into the NPCs this time is incredible.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#10 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:41 PM

I haven't tried to fight any of the mini-bosses, though I've seen at least four and still have a lot of map to explore. lol

And yeah, it's crazy how strong the enemies are, or even how their AI is. They will kick bombs right back at you if they get the chance. lol

I find a few things annoying, but it doesn't really ruin anything for me as I'm still having fun with the game. I've been exploring a certain place, and it's crazy getting in. Not as much on the inside, but it's still high level enemies. But now back to exploring the world.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nintendo, legend of zelda, open-world

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users