The Dresden Files

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:45 AM

The Dresden Files is a series of fantasy/mystery novels written by Jim Butcher. He provides a first person narrative of each story from the point of view of the main character, private investigator and wizard Harry Dresden, as he recounts investigations into supernatural disturbances in modern-day Chicago.

In the world of The Dresden Files, magic is real, along with vampires, demons, spirits, faeries, werewolves, and other mythical monsters. Harry Dresden works to protect the general public, who are ignorant of magic and the dark forces conspiring against them. This makes it difficult for Harry to get by as a working wizard and private eye. The Chicago PD's Special Investigation unit, when led by Karrin Murphy, regularly employs Dresden as a consultant to help solve cases of a supernatural nature.

There was a TV series about this on Sci-Fi Channel some years ago, but it only lasted for a season, sadly.

There is currently thirteen books in the series. I'm currently on the eighth book in the series (Just got eight and nine today.)

I do like how it has magic in a modern-day setting. It's interesting seeing Dresden having to avoid any kind of electronic device since magic doesn't get along with it (eg: In a tv studio one time and the cameras, lights and such more or less quit working, for good.)

I would say if you like stuff like this, you might enjoy this series as well.

#2 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 11:36 PM

Posting a list of the novels written by Jim Butcher, mainly for Iyou since he's reading this series now. lol

Storm Front
Fool Moon
Grave Peril
Summer Knight
Death Masks
Blood Rites
Dead Beat
Proven Guilty
White Knight
Small Favor
Turn Coat
Changes
Ghost Story
Cold Days
Skin Game
Peace Talks
Battle Ground

These two below are a series of short stories, taking place between Storm Front and after Skin Game. Should only read these two after Skin Game as the intros before them says what happens in some of the books.

Side Jobs
Brief Cases

Working for Bigfoot is already in Side Jobs.

I didn't realize that it's been 9 years since I found this series. Crazy. Peace Talks and Battle Ground BOTH came out in this year as well, which is even crazier. Will say Battle Ground has some surprises (At least for me) in it and I wonder how the series goes on with that happening. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users