• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#31 KuroMa

KuroMa

Shinigami Vice Captain

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:53 PM

I haven't been watching a lot of movies as of late, I finally got to the end of Roque Santeiro (a brazilian soap opera I had recorded AGES ago) and started Cowboy Bebop (it's good).

But last night I saw Inside Out (2015)... Yes! A movie that came out less than ten years ago! It's cute too I guess.

Next movie I'm going to watch has got to be a tragedy or something... Like Les Miserables. Or the movie adaption of The Trial.

#32 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:50 AM

Just finished watching the latest Dragonball Z movie: Fukkatsu no F

I like it more than Battle of the Gods. The plot was pretty good though the way Freeza became insanely powerful just by training for X number of months was kind of silly.  But it's DB, so what do you expect?  The movie had a decent mix of humor as well and I like how it wasn't all Goku and Vejita this time around (Roshi, Krillin, TenShinHan, Gohan and Jaco weren't just chumped right out like they usually are lol).

Now that I've seen this one I might check into DBZ Super (when they get through this movie's arc in the show).  And if you haven't seen it.. I recommend it.

Rating: 8/10

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#33 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:54 PM

I need to see that. lol

I think the excuse they used was he never really had to train and actually put in effort for once to gain crazy power.

#34 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:12 PM

I really like the tone the new DBZ movies are setting, they feel like good ol' DBZ, but they're not afraid to make fun of themselves either.

I watched Pixels, and ended up enjoying it way more than I expected to. I blame the Centipede scene, it won me over for sure.

Posted Image Posted Image

#35 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:10 AM

Last night we went and saw The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 (2015) the final chapter of The Hunger Games saga.

I'll just start off by saying I'd give this a 7/10.  It's the second part of the last book and it's the epic climax of the war against The Capitol.  There isn't a ton I can say right here without spoiling so I guess if you're going to watch it yourself just stop here.  If you don't care..well, continue on lol.  I'll spoil the plot first (like I did for the other three)

Spoiler

So yeah.. that's the summary.  Here's a few thoughts..

Spoiler

Anyway, I've written enough about this film.  I liked it but it does have some problems.  I'm still only about half way through the book but Bri says the movie was pretty close (except for a few scenes towards the end but the result was the same, they just changed a few things).

If you saw the other three, go see this one. 

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#36 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:37 PM

A few nights ago we watched The Gift (2015).

A young married couple's lives are thrown into a harrowing tailspin when an acquaintance from the husband's past brings mysterious gifts and a horrifying secret to light after more than 20 years.

It has a 7.2 imdb rating.  I remember seeing the trailer for it in front of another film we watched and it looked decent.  Bri wanted to see it due to the trailer and the fact that the rating was so high.  And it wasn't necessarily a bad movie, it does have a bit of suspense and thriller aspects to it, but the ending...  ugh.  And the big secret that happened 20 years ago was just.. underwhelming.  I don't want to give it away in case you want to watch it yourselves..but just be prepared for a bit of disappointment.

Personally I'd give this one a 5.5/10 or something like that. 

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#37 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:59 PM

This morning we went and saw Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone because it truly deserves to be seen without knowing what's going to happen.  All I'll say is that BB8 is awesome (I want one!) and it was a lot better than the prequels lol.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#38 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:35 PM

Yesterday was a movie-filled day! We watched: Inside Out (2015), Big Hero 6 (2014) and Wreck-It Ralph (2012).

Inside Out

Growing up can be a bumpy road, and it's no exception for Riley, who is uprooted from her Midwest life when her father starts a new job in San Francisco. Like all of us, Riley is guided by her emotions - Joy, Fear, Anger, Disgust and Sadness. The emotions live in Headquarters, the control center inside Riley's mind, where they help advise her through everyday life. As Riley and her emotions struggle to adjust to a new life in San Francisco, turmoil ensues in Headquarters. Although Joy, Riley's main and most important emotion, tries to keep things positive, the emotions conflict on how best to navigate a new city, house and school.

The description of the plot is kinda misleading, really.  Basically Joy and Sadness get out of headquarters after certain events and the other emotions have to try to keep Riley going while Joy and Sadness go through their adventures to return to headquarters.  Anyway, despite the bad description above, the film is actually pretty good.  I mean, it's Pixar so of course it's going to be good (I haven't seen a bad Pixar movie yet).  It has some pretty funny moments (the dream sequence had me laughing out loud) and of course some feels towards the end. Not really sure what else I can say about it without spoiling anything so I'll just leave it at that.  It's a solid movie, 8/10 easy.

Big Hero 6

From Walt Disney Animation Studios, the team behind "Frozen" and "Wreck-It Ralph," comes "Big Hero 6," an action-packed comedy-adventure about the special bond that develops between Baymax, a plus-sized inflatable robot, and prodigy Hiro Hamada. When a devastating event befalls the city of San Fransokyo and catapults Hiro into the midst of danger, he turns to Baymax and his close friends adrenaline junkie Go Go Tomago, neatnik Wasabi, chemistry whiz Honey Lemon and fanboy Fred. Determined to uncover the mystery, Hiro transforms his friends into a band of high-tech heroes called "Big Hero 6."

From the first trailer I had wanted to see this film but it just took me forever to finally get around to it.  It's actually based on a Marvel comic so even though it wasn't produced by Marvel Studioes and doesn't fall into the same universe as the other Marvel films, you might as well think of this film as an origin story for a super hero.  And with that in mind, it was decent but it wasn't really anything new.  A lot of stuff in this film is cliche.  Yeah, Baymax is awesome and I totally want a robot that is my own personal healthcare provider turned hero, but a lot of the twists and stuff you can see coming. 

Still, I like the setting--it's basically San Francisco and Tokyo mixed (there's lots of Japanese architecture and writing), and the characters were all pretty good.  I'd say this one is a 7/10 for me.  It wasn't anything really new but it was still super entertaining.

Wreck-It Ralph

Wreck-It Ralph longs to be as beloved as his game's perfect Good Guy, Fix-It Felix. Problem is, nobody loves a Bad Guy. But they do love heroes... so when a modern, first-person shooter game arrives featuring tough-as-nails Sergeant Calhoun, Ralph sees it as his ticket to heroism and happiness. He sneaks into the game with a simple plan -- win a medal -- but soon wrecks everything, and accidentally unleashes a deadly enemy that threatens every game in the arcade. Ralph's only hope? Vanellope von Schweetz, a young troublemaking "glitch" from a candy-coated cart racing game who might just be the one to teach Ralph what it means to be a Good Guy. But will he realize he is good enough to become a hero before it's "Game Over" for the entire arcade?

Out of all of the movies I saw yesterday I feel like this one is the most unique.  It was definitely pretty cool seeing all these arcade/game characters interacting and the various arcade worlds.  However, I honestly feel like they spent way too much time in the candy cart racing game.  I feel like the movie had more potential and wasted it.  Still, having said that this one was really good too.  Disney really knows how to make animated movies, that much is for sure.  7/10 for me on this one too.

At some point soon I'm going to watch a movie someone recommended to me at work: High Noon (1952).  Supposedly it's a really good western.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: movies, reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users