Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:24 PM

Posted Image

STREET FIGHTER

Street Fighter, commonly abbreviated as SF, is a fighting game franchise by Capcom. The game's playable characters originate from different countries around the world, each with his or her own unique fighting style. It is Capcom's second best-selling franchise, having significant success worldwide. With its first game released in 1987, the game has evolved through the years as well as through its many iterations, and remains one of the most popular video games today.

This can serve as a more general thread to Street Fighter where we can talk about the plot, upcoming games, strategies, post videos, report news, etc. For talking about [Ultra/Super] Street Fighter IV, let's try to keep that in the Street Fighter IV Thread since it's already set up for that.  For the newer/other games we can just use this thread.

Hadouken away!

Metsu_Hadouken.jpg

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#2 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:29 AM

So the other day I sat down and rewatched the old Street Fighter II animated movie that came out in 1994.

Bison, the ruthless leader of the international terrorist organization Shadowlaw, has been desperately searching for the greatest fighter on the planet for years. He finds it in Ryu, a young wanderer who never stays in one place long enough for Bison to find him. He does, however, get a fix on Ken Masters, an American martial arts champion who studied with Ryu as a child under the same master. Meanwhile, Major Guile of the United States Army is forced to team up with Chun Li from China in hopes of apprehending Bison and putting a stop his international ring of crime.

I ended up watching it dubbed which was.. interesting.  Obviously it didn't have the same voice actors that they used for the characters/OAVs now-a-days and a few other things were changed back then for the dub.  For example, Shadowloo was Shadowlaw and Chun-Li was Chung-Li.  Of course with this being dubbed into English but done by the Japanese studio the names for Vega, M.Bison and Balrog were switched around for us but in the background you could still see the original names when they showed the dossiers (for example when it showed Balrog's picture you could see it clearly say the name Vega since that's what his name was in Japan lol)

The plot...  eh.  I guess overall it still holds up.  I mean, it's a game about fighting people and an evil terrorist organization.  What can I really expect from a movie based on that?  It does have some decent fight scenes though, some of which I'm almost certain were cut from and/or edited in the American VHS version that I saw way back in the day.

Overall, it's still a fairly decent Street Fighter movie--way better than the live action versions.  If you haven't seen it in a while you may want to try to find some time to check it out again (if you're bored and like Street Fighter :XD:)

Oddly, although people say the movie isn't canon any more, the success of this movie was literally the reason why Capcom made the Street Fighter Alpha series.  They wanted to flesh out the backstories of several of the cahracters that had appeared in the film but not in the original SF 2 game.  Also, several details from the film were included in the storyline of the series and other future games (such as Ryu's headband having been given to him by Ken, Chun-Li and Guile's partnership, the way M. Bison looks in Alpha compared to SF2 [more musclar], Bison's mad scientist servant showing up in Bison's ending in SFA2, etc). 

I'm still looking into finding the Street Fighter IV OAV.  As soon as I get a copy of that and some free time I'll probably watch it and post about it here lol.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#3 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:55 PM

We just finished watching the Street Fighter IV OAV (at least one of them, the first one) and although they claim that it would help explain events leading up to the game... it...doesn't.  Not really anyway.  I mean, I guess it does explain a little about Seth and the BLECE project but man.  I guess Street Fighter is doomed to just be confusing no matter what.  Anyway...  the basic plot..

Shadaloo and M. Bison are believed to be ancient history by all but for a few people so when a bunch of martial artists start disappearing it's up to Delta Red--led by Cammy--and Chun-Li with Guile to figure out what's going on.  Meanwhile, Seth, the CEO of a company named S.I.N., is trying to track Ryu in order to complete his secret project: the BLECE project.  Ryu continues to be a typical wandering vagabond while training to control the murderous intent that dwells within. Ryu's best friend, Ken Masters, has become the CEO of his own company and lives a fairly dull life.

So yeah.  That's basically it.  Everyone flocks to Ken because they think he knows where Ryu is (he doesn't), but eventually Ryu lets himself be found and everyone is after him.  It culminates when Seth fights Ryu personally to test his power.  At the end, Seth is defeated but gets away thanks to the help of Vega and Balrog who fly a Shadaloo plane in and rescue him

Overall it's a fairly dull movie.  The Street Fighter II movie from the 90's was way more entertaining even if it had very little to do with the actual SF2 game.  This movie might help explain a few small things that lead into SF IV but not many.  I was probably left more confused than before and I guess I'm doomed to just not fully understand everything that's going on in the Street Figher saga.

Still, the animation is clean and it's probably worth watching at least once if you're a SF fan.  Just don't set the bar too high.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#4 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:02 AM

Welp, I totally forgot we had a general thread for Street Fighter so I've merged the other one I made with this one. :XD:

Anyway, since the last time I posted Capcom has released Street Fighter V and Street Fighter: 30th Anniversary Collection which contains every version of SF1, SF2, SF3 and Alpha (if you pre-ordered it, it also came with Ultra Street Fighter IV).

Personally.. I just bought Street Fighter V.  I got it last night but due to work I really haven't had a chance to really try it.  I did boot it up, watched the intro movie, and got the game all updated.  Did the tutorial (which was very basic) and went into training mode just to look to see what all the characters were.  The Arcade Edition that I ordered came with the seasons 1 and 2 passes which has like +12 characters.  So far all I can really say is that the graphics are really nice (though Bri pointed out that Ryu's and Ken's feet in the tutorial were comically huge, which now I can't un-see).

I'll be trying to play it here soon and I'll form a better opinion and have more to say.

I'll probably pick up the 30th Anni collection when it goes on sale for a bit cheaper.  I already own pretty much every version of SF but it's spread across tons of consoles (SF 2 on SNES/SNES Classic, a few versions of 2, 3 and Alpha on PS2, 4 on PS3, now 5 on PS4 lol).  It'd be nice to basically own them all on one console (plus the collection adds online capabilities to every game).

Until next time..

p5TGiasIxrFMPXOMyxc3HnrVxlGDH-e4L8gcZPSYPnM.jpg

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#5 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:54 AM

Actually I had a small amount of free time today to try SFV so I did. Obviously these are just initial thoughts as I probably only spent an hour trying it and I'm sure some things will come up later with it but as just a quick initial glance..

I tried the Arcade Mode twice.  Arcade Mode in this game has different paths, all based on previous Street Fighter games.  The characters you can select to play as are different based on which path you choose.  For example, Cammy is available in the Street Fighter II path but not the Street Fighter I path.  Also, the stages you fight on in that mode are based on what they were in their respective games.  It's a pretty nice touch.  It also seems like the last boss is based on their respective game bosses IF they're in the game (a lot of them aren't, of course). Also, something that's kind of cool and increases replayability a little bit, is after you win each match you get to choose your next opponent most of the time (choose one out of two usually).  So if you see a character pop up that you hate fighting, like Ryu, you can choose the other person.  However each person is worth a different score for beating them so if you're going for the high score you would choose the person with the highest amount.  Finally, with that mode, the barrel stage has returned as a bonus stage but it's a little different this time.  Now you have an enemy CPU there who's trying to keep you from breaking the barrels (or at least distract you, if not outright stop you).  It's much harder to clear that stage with a perfect now (IMO of course). 

I am happy to announce that it seems Capcom has fixed the difficulty issues.  If you recall, Ultra Street Fighter IV had difficulties that was all over the place.  I used to set that game to "easiest" and sometimes it would take me a freaking hour to clear Seth due to outright haxx (i.e. although I had it set to easiest it was acting like it was set to the hardest).  I set the game to easy here and breezed through it.  No problems at all.  Most of the time the AI barely even did anything.  I got several perfects and never came close to losing even once.  That makes me happy because sometimes I just want to play the game on easy and not worry about losing or getting frustrated.  Obviously I'll probably bump it up to normal now that I know that (so at least the AI will try to fight lol) but it's a relief after USFIV.  I was seriously afraid it'd be another situation like that.  Now that easy really is easy it means Bri can play too and have fun with it rather than throwing the controller at me two opponents in.

With all that said.. let's talk about the Fight Money.  That's the in-game currency that you can't (currently) buy with real money.  It's used for a variety of things.  You can use it to purchase new characters and stages (the ones that you CAN purchase with real money, it's neat that you can buy them with the in-game currency though), enter in some of the other modes, and a few other things (like changing your online nickname).  It's a lot like Zenni from Dragonball FighterZ except much harder to get.  Unfortunately, Capcom has decided to make it very annoying to collect a decent amount of it (and you need a ton of it if you want new characters or costumes, each character was 100,000 FM).  You can't get it from playing arcade mode or story mode (apparently you could originally but after the Arcade edition they removed that option).  Now there's weekly missions, some of which only give 50 FM.

At the moment I have 2750 FM which sounds like 'oh wow, that's a lot considering you played an hour' but 2000 of that came from one mission.  The missions can vary too.  One was to perform 10 normal throws on an opponent but had to be done online.  Another was a simple "try out training mode" and the one that gave 2000 was a weird one.  It required knocking your opponent down on a certain stage enough times to cause a background element to do an animation.  Basically on Blanka's stage, the Brazil stage, there's a fruit stand in the background and a toucan.  If you knock your opponent down on that side of the screen a few times the bird flies down and attempts to steal a piece of fruit that fell over.  Most of the time it's not successful but occasionally the bird gets a piece of fruit.  The mission was to get the bird to have a piece of fruit.  It took a few tries before I finally got it to happen lol.

Of course the missions change after a few days (I think it's weekly) so the mission will probably be gone before anyone else gets the game.. but maybe it'll rotate back in.

But the point being, it's not easy to collect fight money and at least one of the modes requires you to spend 2500 to even attempt it.  If you lose you just lost 2500 FM and have to spend it again to repeat.  So with that in mind, I won't be attempting to get the Gloria costume (as it's in that mode and has to be done weekly meaning I would need 10k FM to get the costume assuming I win each time on the first try).

Anyway, the first impressions is that it's pretty awesome.  I'm glad I got it.  Even if I never get the fight money or go online, there's a huuuuuuuuge story mode that I haven't even started yet and arcade mode is more than enough to keep me busy for a long time.  And like I said, the fact that easy really does mean easy means I can really enjoy this one.  So I'd recommend it if you like Street Fighter.  I'd say get the Arcade Edition though as it contains a code for the first two season passes which adds a lot of characters (I feel like the base game really doesn't have that many).  I might actually get the season 3 pass once it goes on sale just so I can have Blanka and Sagat lol.

I'm sure I'll come post more when I get to play for longer and try out the story mode.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#6 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:24 PM

Story mode...

There's actually two story modes.  One is a free DLC that you can download and apparently plays more like the Mortal Kombat 9 story.  That is to say, it's one huge story where it switches characters as the story goes on (you don't get to pick which character you play as, like in previous games).  I'm still downloading that (why is PSN so slow with downloading??) so I can't comment on that just yet.

The second mode is "Character Stories".  These are very, very short stories with 2-4 fights.  I let Bri play through Cammy's and then decided I should stream them.  So here's the video I did of a few of them:

In this video:

Ken - 0:04

Birdie - 6:18

Ryu - 13:22

Chun-Li - 20:44

Guile - 29:41

Dhalsim - 37:42

M. Bison - 45:15

There's still plenty more (and I'll replay through Cammy).  Bri played through Chun-Li's.

Birdie is soooooooooo slooooooooooooooow and Dhalsim's floating falling is weird and takes a lot of time to get used to.  Overall, the only character I even feel comfortable with is Ken so don't expect amazing fights in the rest lol.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#7 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:57 AM

I wasn't originally going to play any today but had a small amount of time to try out survival mode.

Survival Mode is basically what it sounds like.  You have one health bar and must win a certain # of fights.  There's 4 difficulties and each one has a certain # of fights.

Easy - 10 fights

Normal - 30 fights

Hard - 50 fights

Extreme - 100 fights

Something that's kind of cool is that at the end of each fight a menu pops up and you can spend some of your score to do different things ranging from restoring a % of health, giving yourself an attack or defense bonus, to giving you some V-tech meter to start the fight.  So you can choose to not spend any of your score and go for a higher score or you can spend some of it for a bonus.  It's just a neat idea.

Clearing the various difficulties on survival mode unlocks character costume colors, gives character exp, and fight money.  This means that if you want every character's costume colors you'll have to play through the survival modes with every single character.  That's a huge griiiiiiiiiiiiind.

Anyway, I cleared survival on easy.  I might give normal a try sometime, when I'm really feeling it and I have lots of free time.  I doubt I'll ever attempt hard or extreme.

-Edit-

Today (6/25) Capcom updated the survival mode to now have additional items that you can obtain and use that do not consume your score.  The score options are still there, but after you pick a score option you are given a chance to use battle items.  I tried easy mode again with Ken and after I won through all 10 fights the game gave me a few different battle items to use for next time.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#8 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:56 PM

Since I've already invested a bit of real money into Street Fighter V (more than I have any other version, to be honest), I figured I'm going to try to play it more often and try to play ranked matches.  To be honest, I don't really care about wins/losses or LP that much.  It's the experience of playing different levels of players that I'm interested in. 

Anyway, I spent about an hour this morning playing ranked matches.  After the video is a spoiler with the timecodes and wins/losses. In any case, here's what ranked matches is like if you're just starting out at 0 LP.

Spoiler

I've learned that I absolutely suck against R. Mika and Blanka.  That's twice (I played ranked maches a few days ago to test lol) that an R. Mika player has absolutely destroyed me. I've been able to see some Cody players, which is cool since his character literally came out a few days ago (to be honest I'm surprised I didn't run into more of them).  I've also learned that I have no idea how this game matches people up.  Nearly everyone I was matched with was way above me in LP/rank.  Heck, one guy was bronze level and I'm still on the rookie level. 

Finally, I learned that I'm better than I thought (I won a few, some were close calls) but I have a long way to go before I can really say that I'm "good" at street fighter.  Considering how badly I lost some of my matches, I'm not sure that I'll ever get to that level of play.  Even if I don't, though, it's still fun. 

I ended up with 329 LP.  Need to get to 500 to hit bronze level and get that trophy lol.

..I can't wait til Dead and I can play.  I'll have to record our matches and post them when they happen lol.  On those I'll be more willing to mess around with the other characters (since the only character I stand even a smidge of a chance of winning online with is Ken).  There's also a ton of costumes I'd like to try out and I'm sure I'll get the time when we play together online. :XD:

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#9 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 01:59 PM

Finally got around to trying the general story mode of SFV.  I didn't stream/record it though (I'm sure there's people on youtube who have if you want to watch it). The story is.. uhh.. well, I don't know.  It's OK I guess but it isn't going to win any awards.

Basically it starts with Franken Nash--recently revived after he was killed by the helicopter as he fought Bison--and of course he's out for revenge.  Meanwhile, a mysterious fighter has appeared and fights Ryu, who was in India to fight Dhalsim to test something.  After the battle with the mysterious fighter, a huge black orb appears in the sky.  Turns out that Shadaloo, under FANG, has activated something called Black Suns (the orbs that are positioned over various cities) but is missing the keys to activate them.  The pieces, that look like chess pieces, were sent to various fighters around the world for safe keeping.  FANG plans to use the Black Suns to send an EMP to all the world's major cities which then will cause massive chaos, fear, hatred, rioting, etc.  Why?  Because this fear, etc, will be used to power up M. Bison's Psycho Energy so that he can, you guessed it, rule the world.

:ofcourse:

Obviously it's up to the fighters to put an end to Shadaloo's plans and prevent this from happening.

There's some other plotlines going on here too, but that's more or less the gist of it.  Like I said, it isn't groundbreaking and isn't going to win any awards, but it's Capcom and Street Fighter.  I can't really expect anything awesome, can I?  I mean this is a series that has one of the most confusing timelines/plotlines in any gaming history except for maybe Metal Gear.

Anyway, it's a bit longer than the character stories.  There's 5 acts and multiple fights/scenes on each.  It took around 25-30 minutes or so to clear each act (so somewhere around 2 - 2 1/2 hours to clear).  One nice thing about this mode is that there's a "skip fight" option if you lose any of the fights.  Choosing that will leave that section as uncleared but will allow you to continue on with the story so that you're not stuck forever.  I really only had to do that in act 5 as the difficulty starts to ramp up towards the end.  So I'm at 81% for Act 5 but 100% on the rest.  Clearing the mode only unlocks the ability to use different character costumes if you want to replay any of the fights/story.  Apparently it used to give you fight money for clearing it but Capcom removed that when the arcade edition came out (why does Capcom hate giving fight money to people?).

I'd say check it out if just so that you can see the somewhat ridiculous/meh story though.  After you beat the game there's an after-scenes credit (well, kind of lol) that leads into Street Fighter 3 so at least Capcom is trying..

-Edit-

And on the bright side, the silly story bought us Peter, the Cop.  The best meme character in Street Fighter history.

Spoiler

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#10 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 09:08 AM

Decided to play some more ranked matches and aim for the bronze level (just to get the trophy).  Streamed it, of course.  I got my butt kicked most of the time..but I did eventually win enough to get bronze lol.

Timecodes/matches:

Spoiler

Something I'm learning, slowly, is that I need to slow down and defend more.  I'm so used to just jumping in and trying to go to town and that usually gets me murdered.  The people who go higher in the ranks tend to be waaaaaaay more defensive and force their opponents to make a mistake/create an opening rather than just going ham on them. 

Just something I'll have to practice and force myself to do.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hadouken, street fighter, fighting games, street fighter ii, street fighter iii, street fighter alpha, street fighter iv, street fighter v, ultra street fighter, street fighter arcade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users