#102 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:16 PM

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#103 KuroMa

KuroMa

Shinigami Vice Captain

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:37 AM

What do Adam's Rib (1949), a black-and-white courtroom drama romantic comedy (you heard me), and Spaceballs (1987), the Mel Brooks parody of Star Wars, have in common, besides that I watched both?

Spoiler

:dancing:

#104 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:34 PM

Last night we braved the (2) dollar theater to see Annabelle (2014).

First off, I have to say that I still don't understand why people pay money to see a movie in the theater and then proceed to talk through  it.  I mean, if you want to talk through a movie stay home and watch it when it comes to Redbox/Netflix/whatever.  Or, if you just can't contain yourself, sit in the very very far back where hopefully no one else will hear it.  Ugh.

So with that in mind... the first 15 minutes of the film were basically unbearable due to people making too much noise.  I missed a few things.  Nothing too important, but something I wasn't able to connect the dots til later.   Anyway..

John Form has found the perfect gift for his expectant wife, Mia - a beautiful, rare vintage doll in a pure white wedding dress. But Mia's delight with Annabelle doesn't last long. On one horrific night, their home is invaded by members of a satanic cult, who violently attack the couple. Spilled blood and terror are not all they leave behind. The cultists have conjured an entity so malevolent that nothing they did will compare to the sinister conduit to the damned that is now... Annabelle.

The movie serves as a fictional prequel to The Conjuring (2013).  If you've seen that movie then you already know a little about Annabelle, as it is what the movie opens with.  In that movie the doll had been given to a nurse for her birthday gift and she started noticing it moving and leaving messages for her.  That's when she called in the two Warrens to come pick it up and take it off their hands, to where it remains (to this day) in a locked case in their museum.  Now, irl Annabelle is a Raggedy Anne doll and its story begins with it being given as a gift to the nurse.  In the movies Annabelle is a porcelain doll and the new movie tells an origin story to how the doll became attached with a demon.

As an origin story goes it's okay I guess.  It does have some decent jump scares but overall it's very similar to the way The Conjuring is.  The jump scares seem to be few and far between while suspense and build up fills the movie. 

Overall, I thought it was decent but it isn't one of those movies that I'll be itching to watch every few months.  Having said that, I DO want to see it again when it comes to Redbox just so I could see it all again without the annoying people talking through it.

Rating: 6/10

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#105 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:22 AM

Two nights ago we rewatched Chicago (2002).  Pretty sure I've talked about that one before but I'll just say that I still enjoy it.  It's one of my favorite musicals (top 5 easy).  Having seen the stage show I can appreciate it even more now.

Last night we tried to watch Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991) and only watched about half of it.  This was somewhat due to the way the DVD is.  We were watching it and the movie just..stopped.  I checked the scenes and found only half the movie on there.  Turns out you have to flip the DVD to keep watching.  WTF?  Even Titanic or Braveheart didn't make you flip the DVD for half the movie.  Anyway, after figuring all that out it was too late (it was getting late to begin with due to late nights at work) and Bri had to be up early so we decided to save the next half for later.

Along with the weird having to flip the disc in the middle of the movie, the DVD seems to have some other issues. They claim it's widescreen, which you would expect to fill most of the screen with letterbox.  It doesn't.  Instead it's a tiny little square in the center of the TV (looks like it might fit a 13" TV lol).  Thankfully my TV has the ability to stretch and zoom the picture a bit to make it almost fit (better than the tiny square).  I guess I can't expect much from a $5 DVD but still.. :psyduck:  Was this like.. one of the first DVDs ever made? I've never owned a DVD that had these kinds of issues, even from the early days of DVDs.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#106 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:22 PM

inb4 bootleg or something. lol

#107 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

lol would be kind of funny if so.  Bought it at Target though.

Last night we finished the movie. I can say that I don't really like Kevin Costner as Robin Hood.  The rest of the cast was fine, even Alan Rickman (who I've never seen in such a crazy role before lol).  Overall it wasn't my favorite adaption of the Robin Hood story but it certainly wasn't the worst either.

Rating: 5/10

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#108 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:02 PM

I always forget that Alan Rickman was in that movie. lol

I really could never stand to watch that movie, though I think I might have at some point in the past anyway just to actually see it all.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: movies, reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users