107 replies to this topic

#81 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts
  • LocationIn the Temen-ni-Gru ruining Vergil's day

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

:XD: That is my favorite Monty Python movie and I'd say is my favorite comedy of all time. I've seen tons of comedies but none of them have ever made me laugh as hard as Holy Grail. It's one of those movies that I've seen so many times that I can pretty much quote it word for word when watching.

Ghostbusters was cool on the big screen...buuuuuuuuut.... I was expecting them to show the 4k version of the film (i.e. the most HD version of it that is out). Instead it looked like someone popped in an old VHS or early DVD and streamed it on the screen. Very fuzzy and grainy. While it was nostalgic to show that way, it was a little disappointing. Also had some of the rudest people in the theater with us which really made Bri upset (and me annoyed). See, we were the first ones in the theater. We found the spot we wanted. The rest of the theater was entirely empty. A kid (who was probably about 10) and parents showed up and decided to sit riiiiiiiiiiight behind us and then never shut up the entire time. Oh and someone (don't think it was the kid, but either mother or father) kept getting up and pulling back on Bri's chair. I know the kid got up a few times to run down and out of the theater for whatever reason and he banged my seat every time. Just..wtf? Why? Why is it every single time we try to do something we have some of the most annoying people next to us? On top of the annoying people right behind us, a couple with an infant baby showed up. Naturally the baby cried. A lot. :suicide:

I guess you could argue that we should've moved but we were there first. Why should we give up what we feel are the best seats in the house just because some rude idiots want to sit behind us and ruin it? They should've been the ones to move. There were hundreds of empty seats in the place. Heck, they could've sat in the same seat 3 rows back and it would've been perfect (they could've talked all they wanted and kicked the seats in front of them and it wouldn't have mattered).

But yeah.. other than that.. it was good. Stay Puft was awesome on a big screen, grainy or no.

~James~
Even if you can't rely on anyone else, just pull yourself together and roar!
My Website :: The Ultimate Rurouni Kenshin FAQ

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#82 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:14 PM

Eh, I typically won't go to theatres unless its a movie I can't wait to see. Even then I'm iffy. Generally I'll wait til the 2nd or 3rd week after it's released to go see it. I understand Ghostbusters is a different kind of animal, but yeah.. theatres generally just suck.

Posted Image Posted Image

#83 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:20 AM

I just don't understand the mindset of people. Who pays $10~$14 a ticket (GB was $10 but most movies are at least $12 these days, more if they're 3D) then an ungodly amount of money on popcorn only to sit and talk through the entire movie and ruin it for others who paid the same or more as you?? Is there seriously no common decency and courtesy left in the world? How hard is it to keep your mouth closed for 1 1/2 hours??

I mean that family that sat behind us.. that was $30 just for the tickets and each of them had popcorn and a drink. Assuming they all got smalls, it's like $12 each for that or $36 total for the food. $66 to see Ghostbusters only to talk through it, get up and run around, and slam into the seats in front of you. Just..wtf?

And yeah, normally we do wait unless it's one of those movies that we just have to see on opening day/night. There's not many of those though (the new Hunger Games movie and possibly the final Hobbit will be the only two left this year that we're going to do that with). Everything else can wait. Some movies can wait til they go to the ghetto theater (actually a majority of them can wait til they go to that theater lol). At least there if someone ruins the experience it's only $2 a person to see the thing instead of $12+.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#84 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

Lol I'm lucky movie tickets are usually only $7 to $9 here still most of the time. Still yeah, its insanely expensive. I won't go see most movies in the theatre (even ones I really want to see.) Unless I just can't wait. I've had relatively few good experiences in the theatre, however this year seems to be trying to change my mind on that.. I saw Transformers 4, and aside from the fact that almost no one showed up besides us, the people that did show up sat waaaaaaay far away. So that was good

When we went to see Guardians, the theatre was jam packed, I went with just Sam but there were not two seats together in the whole place. Luckily a lady saw our plight and ushered herself and her husband over to let us have 2 seats together. Very nice. Through the whole movie (yes there were kids there, and right behind us too.) No one said a word, not a phone was taken out or a ringtone uttered. The only time there was anything from anyone was the kids behind us crying for Groot, which was acceptable.

That whole Guardians experience has restored my faith in Humanity just a bit. (a teensy tiny bit.)

#85 Smz

Smz

• Administrators
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:23 PM

And nearly a year later... I actually just saw The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. I don't really go to the movie theaters so basically just wait until I can see it on demand with the cable. It's also how I saw Captain America and Thor 2: The Dark World (though never bothered to post about it.)

Can't really say much more about it than Iyou already did. Though now that I have seen it, I can see what he means on Tauriel being like Nauthima on combat skills, without the magic (just add black hair with purple streaks and seven more inches to her height. lol)

Eh, I liked it and I'm not really bothered about Tauriel being a movie only character. The only thing I don't like on that character is Tauriel going "zomg I love this dwarf!" in regards to Kili, which kind of feels forced. lol

#86 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

Lol I'm the only one of us who hasn't watched Desolation of Smaug. (GASPO)

#87 KuroMa

KuroMa

Shinigami Vice Captain

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:21 PM

Nope, I haven't watched it either, even though I watched the first one

#88 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:45 AM

Tues night we watched Maleficent again at the dollar theater lol. It's still pretty good.

Last night we watched 13 Sins (2014).

A cryptic phone call sets off a dangerous game of risks for Elliot, a down-on-his luck salesman. The game promises increasing rewards for completing 13 tasks, each more sinister than the last.

The movie starts with Elliot being fired from his job. See, he's taking care of his mentally challenged brother, has a baby on the way and is getting married. He can't really afford to be without a job. Well, he receives a phone call saying he's on a game show and that for $1000 all he has to do is kill a fly. So he does. Then the challenge is to eat the fly that he killed. And it just progresses from there and gets more and more insane.

I had never heard of this movie before til someone at work recommended it to me. It's on Netflix, if you're curious to see it yourself. I don't want to spoil too much beyond what I already have though. I'll just say it's actually a pretty good movie and is better than I would have guessed by reading the tagline. It isn't so much "horror" as thriller though there are a few gruesome parts.

Rating: 7/10

We're about to watch Oculus (2013) which I've heard is really good.

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#89 Iyouboushi

Iyouboushi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:18 PM

So.. Oculus (2013)...

A woman tries to exonerate her brother, who was convicted of murder, by proving that the crime was committed by a supernatural phenomenon.

The tagline is.. not that in depth. Here's the basic gist. The film takes place in two different times: the present and 11 years earlier. The two plotlines are told in parallel through flashbacks. In the past, 11-year-old son Tim, and 13-year-old daughter Kaylie, move into a brand new house where the father has bought an old antique mirror to hang in his office. Well, after some time, weird (supernatural) things start happening and the two kids witness their father murder their mother and attempt to murder them. The son, Tim, ends up killing the dad and ends up going to a psychiatric hospital.

Eleven years later, Tim has been convinced that nothing supernatural ever happened. He's then discharged. Kaylie, meanwhile, has spent most of her young adulthood believing that it was the mirror that her father had bought for his office that resulted in all the weird stuff that went on and, inevitably, their parents' deaths. So she's spent her life researching the history of the mirror, obsessively documenting the lives and deaths of everyone who's ever owned it. Using her position as an employee of an auction house, Kaylie obtains access to the mirror and has it transported to the family home, where she places it in a room filled with surveillance cameras and a "kill switch"—an anchor weighted to the ceiling and set to a timer. Kaylie intends to destroy the mirror but first wants to document its powers proving its supernatural nature and thus vindicate her family.

And that's basically the movie. The mirror starts to make them see and do things and it basically goes into crazy land from there.

Overall it wasn't a bad movie per se.. but it wasn't groundbreaking. The movie Mirrors that I rewatched a month or so ago had a very similar theme. Both movies involve mirrors that have demons (or evil, if you will) possessing them that causes people to either kill, go insane, or messes with them. Both movies have mirrors that seemingly can't be destroyed. There are some major differences but of course that would be giving away lots of spoilers to both films.

The movie does pretty good to build up to the craziness and after a while you start to wonder if the mirror really is responsible for things or if the two kids really are just crazy. I liked that a lot. The flashbacks were told in small intervals that always left you wanting to see more, which was nice. The last quarter of the film is crazy though and might be a bit too much going on.

Anyhoo.. it was worth the $1.50 or whatever to rent it from Redbox. I suggest you guys do the same and give it a watch.

Rating: 7/10

~James~

sig.gifiyouboushi.png

#90 Dead

Dead

Drunken Pirate

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:28 PM

I obtained Occulus a while back through my sister in law... I still haven't tried watching it. Thanks for giving me a couple of things to do tomorrow since I'm probably not going to portales

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: movies, reviews

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users